Guest ragtoprocketbri

Guest ragtoprocketbri

Hi to all in aaca,having just became a member of aaca-and not being the greatest with computers i am just finding my way around the site(took me half an hour to find the "new thread" box!)i live in newcastle-north east england and at the moment have 2 old american cars-1 of which the 1958 olds convertible -i have owned this car for 16 years-took me 3 years to restore the car!(not many 58 olds parts around in the uk)and the other car which i have just aquired (from alabama)is a 1965 buick le sabre 2dr coupe,there are 2 other cars in my uploaded pic,s-the 58 caddy has now been sold-and the lincoln zephyr belongs to my uncle!i am now spending some time getting the buick on the road and registered on uk no plates at the moment so will upload some better pic,s when i get the job done!best regards BRIAN

Welcome to the AACA and the forum. Sounds like you have two great cars, I have great respect for anyone restoring an american car overseas. Knowing how difficult it can can be to find parts and expertise here in the states I cannot even imagine how tough it must be over there. Unfortunately your photos are not showing, please repost so we can take a look.

Guest ragtoprocketbri

Hi don,thanks for your kind comments,talk about nice looking cars-your vehicles also look very nice!regarding restoring older american car,s over here -it is a bit of a task-especially getting all the chrome parts sorted-i have spent a fortune on chrome plating over the year,s and it never quite seems to be up to gm standard-another problem over here is the great british weather(which is not so great)and ofcoarse the ridiculous cost of fuel now in the uk£1.20 per litre-don,t help much!i have now opted for lpg conversions on my cars wich runs at 59pence per litre!but i suppose if you have a love of american vehicles this is the price you pay!i will try to get somemore pic,s uploaded in good time-thanks again for your kind words-best regards BRIAN

Guest ragtoprocketbri

Hi dave,yeah i suppose the problem works both ways,i suppose it wouldn,t be so bad in the uk if our wonderfull british government would not insist on taxing us to death on everything we do(i think they would tax the air we breathe if they could)best regards BRIAN

Guest Moepar

Welcome aboard! I must say you have two excellent cars. I used to have two '63 Le Sabres- absolutely LOVED them. When hubby sold my favorite it was almost grounds for divorce - until he "fixed" the problem by finding me another car.

Have fun on these forums. These are some of the best fellas (& gals) you'll ever want to know.

Guest ragtoprocketbri

Hi moepar and thanks for your kind words!i had been looking for a 65 buick for quite some years here in the uk-i have memories from early 70s of my father owning a 65 wildcat-so when i got the chance of my 65 le sabre there was no holding me back!my father used to run his own garage back then and he had a different american car every week-so before i even got to the age of maybe 6 or 7 years old i had been in all kinds of fantastic american cars ranging from 1930s buicks to 50s caddy,s ,so it is really his fault that i have such a love of american cars(and bikes)best regards BRIAN (from rainy england)

Hey Welcome, Really great to see another 58 OLDS convert. I also own one----- they are pretty rare around here. Send me your e-mail and I will send you pics if you are interested. I just can't figure out how to shrink pics so they upload on this site.

ED

post-61520-143138256709_thumb.jpg

Guest ragtoprocketbri

Hi ed,congratulations on owning such a fine machine!did you restore your car?if so looks like you done a fine job on that one-my olds was a complete wreck when i bought it-it had been in storage for years after having its original motor removed for a stock car!fortunately i found another low milage 371 motor to install!you can see video footage of my car on youtube before resto and after-also a video of one of my bikes-check it out-if you print in 58 olds you should find it-my name on youtube is (brianstretchycable)best regards BRIAN