1929 Model 645 Distributir cap & rotor

West Peterson

I have a very nice NorthEaster distributor cap. I need one for a 645.

1. Is there a difference between Standard Eight and Super Eight?

2. Is there a difference from year to year?

I also need a rotor.

1. Is it best to get new?

2. Where would you recommend getting one?

West,

Max Merritt shows the same cap for STD 8 and Super 8 1928 to 1932. In the parts book it shows the 8th and the 9th series being the same part, bu tthe 7th series being different. So that differs from what Max's website shows. I would go to Max as a good place to start. Just bought a rotor. Paid $90. He wanted $500 for his caps. He claim the reproduction mold was broken and no new ones would be made.

I have an excellent complete distributor. It appears either little used or possibly NOS. Email me if interested. Not cheap.

Hi West,

1928 to 32 Packards used North-East Model TEU distributors. Seven different Model TEU distributors were in use (number on the ID tag):

All distributors basically look the same. The differences will be found in slight internal design changes. Different point sets, different advance curves, single or double weight advance mechanisms and other improvements.

The 5028269 distributor for example had originally been used on the 1931-32 Series 9 Super 8 and got superseded by the 5031262 distributor.

The 1928-29 6-45 originally either used a 10858 or a 10868 distributor.

However, all distributors used the same cap and rotor.

North-East obviously changed (extended) their part numbers during these years.

So in older literature you will find the part # 20153 for the cap and in newer literature you will find it renamed to 5020153. The rotor would be part # (50)20491.

I do have a couple of NORS caps and rotors in stock. I paid $320 for a fresh repro cap when they freshly came out 10 years ago.

I'd gladly help you out if you wish but I'm located overseas. You could try Ben McAdam in US. He might be able to help you out too.

Peter

Peter,

Great infomation on the distributor and rotors.

West,

I found this ad for NOS rotors on the CCCA website.

PACKARD, Distributor rotors NOS. 1928-1932 8-cylinder and 1932-1939 12-cylinder. Kenneth Johnson, Carmel, IN 317-818-0877.

I need to get myself a spare rotor. Found out I had a spare cap I forgot about.

• 12 years later...

This does not appear to be a Packard distributor. The only other passenger car that used a TEU distributor was Cunningham. But it is not a Cunningham distributor either. So it’s probably a Sterling or Chrysler Marine distributor.