Side curtains - show me yours!

trimacar

OK, we see pictures all the time of roadsters and touring cars, tops up and down. But rarely, rarely, a picture of one with all the side curtains on.

C'mon guys, show me some pictures, any make or model! Not trying to be a pain in the isinglass, just wanta see 'em!

Thanks!

David, Sorrry but I can't help.

I have owned my 1929 Ford Phaeton since 2006. It was restored in 1989. When I bought it, the side curtains were still rolled up in the sealed box from LeBaron Bonney. I did at least take them out and flattten them out. I have never installed them on the car. Who needs side curtains? I always drive and the wind wings and windshield keep me dry. The passengers in the back can deal with a little rain water....:D

Nice! Funny how some cars didn't have interior door handles, so they made the little flap, you could reach out to the outside handle.

Of course my request has an ulterior motive, have to make side curtains for a '23 Hudson, and looking for ideas on design, as have no patterns. Have made the rods to support curtains at doors so they can open, working on rest.

Seeing the Franklin curtains does give me some ideas. Thanks!

OH, OK, thought it was to reach the outside door handles. I know I've seen a touring car without inner handles somewhere.

Speaking of making signals, I used my '31 Pierce phaeton in the wedding of one of my daughters recently. On the way to the reception, it started raining hard. The top overhangs fairly well, and I have windwings, so not much water gets into the car, even while driving.

When I got to the reception, numerous people asked why my long sleeve dress shirt was water soaked, but only on the left sleeve/arm. Signaling a turn into the parking lot, of course..........

Here are a couple of shots on the 2001 Glidden Tour at Mackinaw City Michigan. We all kept our curtains on the whole week, if we had them.

Real cold and wet. (Just two weeks after 9/11/2001)

Picture #1 our 1934 Ford Phaeton, #2 Three 1931 Lincoln Phaetons

post-32318-143138247815_thumb.jpg

post-32318-143138247822_thumb.jpg

Wow, that Elgin is unique in the treatment of the side curtains. I would think it's an effort to keep the water completely out of the interior. As most people know who've driven a touring or roadster in the rain, it's virtually impossible not to have some water come through the edges or top of windshield.

Not just an old problem. My experience with early little Tbirds, the tops leak, and rarely can you get everything just right to stop it.

David Coco Winchester Va.

Guest Steve Hughes

Just a note regarding those little leaks around the windshield. I have a couple of spots at the end of the center seam of the split windshield on my Model T Ford that spits water in when raining. I have found that a little plumbers putty pushed into the small opening stops the leak. And it is very easy to remove when all is done and the side curtains come off.

Many thanks to Ralph W. , he sent me some great pictures of curtains on a '23 Hudson, and from that I'll be able to get very close to original when I do these.............thanks, what a great forum!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all- not quite through with top and curtains, but getting close. Haven't finished rear most curtains yet, and haven't finished the finish trim ends so still looks a little funny, but attached pictures of new top and some of the curtains for a 1923 Hudson. I made the windows small based on some of the period pictures I found, they're blue because haven't taken off the protective coating, that plastic sure scratches easily.Inside is a nice tan, not quite as light as the picture shows.

Thought y'all might like to see the progress. Thanks for all the input.

post-31482-143138259567_thumb.jpg

post-31482-143138259572_thumb.jpg

post-31482-143138259576_thumb.jpg