Radio Removal in a 56 Roadmaster?

Guest gunjeep444

Guest gunjeep444

I want to pull out my radio to check the tubes. Do I have to go way up in the dash to unscrew the side braces? I can't quite figure it out. I have the shop manual, it says on putting it back in to bolt the radio to the side braces, but on mine there are nuts on the sides that are welded to it, so can't do that. Is it best to just pull the dash pad? Laying on my back is not good for an old guy!

last I recall, the radio has to drop out the bottom end. I don't think it will make the turn at the top if you remove the dash pad.

Pull out the glove box. Then you can see the one side better and figure out what's going on. The factory radio just unbolts from the sides and at the volume/selector switch. I don't think you have to remove the HVAC control either.

I want to pull out my radio to check the tubes. Do I have to go way up in the dash to unscrew the side braces? I can't quite figure it out. I have the shop manual, it says on putting it back in to bolt the radio to the side braces, but on mine there are nuts on the sides that are welded to it, so can't do that. Is it best to just pull the dash pad? Laying on my back is not good for an old guy!

If all you want to do is check the tubes I'm pretty sure the radio doesn't have to removed. after the cover is removed all the tubes and the vibrator pull out of the bottom. Still an ugly job..............Bob

Hi Bob. I have to disagree with you on that. On the 56, the radio would have to come out. The access plate is in the back of the radio, and even if you could get it off while in the dash, it'd be near impossible to get the tubes back in the right spot with no possible line of sight.

Is the access plate on the 57 radio on the bottom?

I won't argue with you on that one John. I seem to remember that the 55 and 57 could be accessed from the bottom but I didn't feel like crawling under the dash to check. I just threw it out as a possibility. I probably should have prefaced my comment with a "maybe"....................Bob

I just put a radio in my '56. With the dash pad off, it was real easy to install the radio from the top. My car came without the radio so I don't have experience taking it out, but I can't see that there would be any problems. Everything is accessable with the top of the dash off.

Taking the dash pad off was alot easier than I expected it to be too.

As I recall, the attaching bolts are about 2 or three inches up the sides, from the bottom of the radio--no more than that. They should unbolt with a 1/2-inch or 7/16ths-inch wrench--can't remember which. The heater controls attached to the bottom of the dash definitely have to be removed. The radio won't clear the cables and levers if you don't. The two radio knobs, I think, have to be finessed off with a small straight-bladed screwdriver holding the metal tabs off of the shafts. I don' t think Buick used set screws on the ;56 radio knobs?

Pete Phillips

Guest Koala

I have just finished removing the radio in my 56 Special. A simple job to remove the lower windshield surround and then the dash top which opens up a whole new world behind the dash..............lots of dust and an opportunity to replace the instrument light globes, lubricate the wiper cables and any other little jobs that you have been putting off.

Two bolts hold the radio in place plus the nuts behind the knobs..........unplug the antenna and one power wire and lift it out the top...............easy.

Koala

Guest gunjeep444

Well , hopefully it will be that easy for me. I plan to get an electric wiper motor anyway, could lube up that stuff as you did, once I get it off.