57 Special - 2BBL Carter - Paint?

1957buickjim

I am rebuilding my Carter WGD 2bbl and it looks as if the carb was installed prior to engine paint, since there is overspray on the base of the carb up to the fuel bowl? Since I am in the rebuild mode on it, how should it be finished cosmetically? Thanks.

post-65800-143138238343_thumb.jpg

post-65800-143138238367_thumb.jpg

Guest NikeAjax

On my 56, I just used some high temp Ford-green, yeah I know, WE don't use that word here, on he base!

Jaybird

Guest NikeAjax

Dooooh! I went and looked at my carb, and it's silver, #@^%$#!!!!!!! This is because I effed up the original one, and couldn't replace the part I broke and didn't take the time to repaint it.

What I'd do is take the base off and just pull everything off: mask off the areas where you have gaskets, and ESPECIALLY where the air/fuel mixture screw goes in. I'm 90% certain the bases were painted to match the engine. If you look in the manual, even though it's B/W you can see a difference in the shades of gray, so being an artist, I can safely guess it's green.

I've seen the color called "apple-green" and "jade" too, so we can get away with not using the "F" word!

I hope this was some help?

Jaybird

PS my carb was the one installed in the factory, and it was green!

I was thinking that the base was at least the engine color. I have some BUICK GREEN engine paint and will do that. Just wondering how to finish the rest of the carb? Trying to determine if it is bronzish or silverish or blueish / greeinsh (ala Eastwood Translucent Carb Paint).

Guest NikeAjax

Jim, if it was mine, I'd just leave it the way you have it; the rest of the carb that is.

Okay, I could be wrong, but the only carbs I've seen that were a color, other than gray/silver, were four-barrels. You don't want to over detail it, it'll just look goofy. But if you absolutely HAVE TO, I'd do it that goldish color, that's what I had on my Rochester-4BBL, but I've seen those in gray too, so it wouldn't be wrong to leave it.

Hope this was some help?

Jaybird

Jaybird, thanks for the info. I will just clean it well, rebuild and repaint the base. I agree, the overdetailing would look odd. Just trying to do a sanity check.

• 3 weeks later...

PWhy am I hearing Ford Green repeated on these posts over and over again?

It is not the correct color, never will be and unless you live on Planet Ford, there is no reason to be spraying it on a Buick!

You can get the correct Buick Green depending on your year ( the late forties to 56 had a certain lighter Buick Green and the 1957 to 1965 had the latter darker Buick Green then from then on they went to Red) from various sources here on the net, so why go Hackymotto Walmart on your ride, after you have just spent all this time to prep the surface to paint it?

Just my opinion of course.

David

P.S. Rochesters & some Strombergs had a goldish chromate finish, Carter AFB;s had the raw shiny aluminum look. If you are rebuilding your carb and want to be politically correct this appears to be the finish format to follow. If it is a AFB then a vibrational tumbler with the right media will make it look brand new again. I have been told that with the 2 bbl carbs the carbs were mounted onto the intake manifold and spot painted at the base to check corrosion. The AFB is all aluminum with a galvanic plate gasket between the carb and intake so no paint needed to be applied.

Edited by buick man (see edit history)

Thanks David. I do have the correct Buick Green engine paint (bought an extra qt. when I re-did the engine a while ago), so no problem there. The other information is quite valuable. I appreciate it. Jim

I believe the reason the carb base had green paint on it is because the engine was painted with the carb installed. That is why the base of your distributor has green paint on it also. It is overspray from the factory not a thought out coating.