Car ID help please

Guest Schallercam

Guest Schallercam

I'm trying to help a friend identify the make and model of the car in this photo. The car belonged to his grandparents and he would greatly like to find out what it was. I've been searching for pictures with similar radiator shells, headlamps and such, but with no luck so far. Any experts out there who could help me solve this puzzle? He thinks it was taken around 1921. Thanks in advance.

Bob

post-68497-143138234981_thumb.jpg

Guest Schallercam

Many thanks to all who have responded to my question about the car's ID. Using the fine photo that Commodore posted, it is no doubt the same car, albeit with more modern wheels and an extra window mullion in the passenger area. The unique headlamps, bumper design and radiator shell nail it.

I wonder in what year Studebaker made the change from wooden spoke wheels to pressed steel stampings? Anyone want to hazard a guess? I'm thinking "The MoneyPit" might be close to a realistic answer of 1922-24, and my friend's hunch of his submitted picture dating to about 1921 could be on target also.

Bob

Guest FOlsen

Most manufactures offered wood spokes as standard, And disc or wire spoke wheels as an up grade through the mid 20's. Example, I have a 26 Dodge Brothers with wood spokes and a 25 DB with Steel dish wheel.

Hope this helps...