Isn't this a Special not a Super? (1947)

Guest BJM

Guest Buick Bonery

What convinces you that this is a Special? I have a Super that looks just like the Special. The only way I could distinguish between the two is that the Special hood latch handle says "Special" on it, but the Super is blank.

I would agree with Glassesguy, the roadmaster and super "airfoil" fenders continued all the way to the rear fender, unlike the special which ends on the front door panel. As far as the hood pulls; the 46-48 models did not have the series indentification othe handle, that stopped with the 42' model year.

Kevin Moore

Central Ohio

Guest ewing

and the tail lights are the small series , special

the super and roadmaster tail lights were the new post war horizontal lights on the lower body, not on the fenders

Super and Special use totally different bodies. The Special is the carryover 1941-42 6 window body while the Super uses the carryover 1942 C body with the closed rear quarter roof panel.

Kevin, Joe, and John are correct also.

Guest Buick Bonery

I'm still confused, so I posted some pictures, 2 pictures for each car. Both of these cars have 47 grilles. One has the name Special on the hood pull handle, the other doesn't. But the fenders and their extensions look the same to me.

post-55336-143138231908_thumb.jpg

post-55336-143138231923_thumb.jpg

post-55336-143138231937_thumb.jpg

post-55336-143138231952_thumb.jpg

Recall what Joe pointed out regarding the side trim strips. Can you check the Body Tag on the cowl? Also, do you have George Damman's 70 Years of Buick for reference? Good pics in there of these cars. Front fender extensions on Supers go to the rear fender. These pics show the extensions only in to the front door.

Possibly two senarios, the special handles broke and were replaced with super handles (they were known to break if not handled carefully) or the owner switched out the special ones for super ones to impress the public a little. They are definitely specials.

Kevin Moore

Central Ohio

1948 Super 56c

1941 Roadmaster 76c

We have an HPOF '47 Roadmaster sedan; the answer is (as stated) that the Super hood handle

was replaced due to breakage or the owner's desire. Period.

The '47 Special on GM's B-body ('48's were very similar save for the hood badge in front)...

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7949&g2_serialNumber=2

The '47 Super on the C-body, shared with Roadmaster, 2nd below...

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7931&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7907&g2_serialNumber=2

Besides the obvious body differences, the '42-'48 Specials also have rather ungainly,

high hoods compared to their C-body stablemates.

TG

I think it is safe to say it's a Special. However, I have stated that about a certain car or model before (in other discussions) and been wrong.

For my part, the Special four door - to me - looks better then the airfoil four door Supers and Roadmasters. It has nothing to do really with the sides but rather that post war GM four door "top" which I personally do not care for. (If you own one of these cars please do not take offense)

On the +++ side is that the Super and Roadmasters four doors, post war period 46 on - remain plentiful.

I could have owned 20-25 in the last several years at an average cost of about $750. This would allow cheap entry into the hobby and they are still great cars.

That fastback Special though remains my favorite and I even like how Buick advertised it (as noted above) with a swagger and confidence. Yea it's big and compact, that takes 'nads