Wood source for 1920/30 Buicks

unimogjohn

A few weeks back there was a post looking for someone that was making wood body framework for the early cars. Here is one source that I just found out above.

Hi John,

I am the guy who is re-wooding your model and year Buick. Attached are photos as of today, June 5. The brought me sticks, stubs and doggy food bags of old wood pieces of his car. I am a good detective.

I have been supplying wood kits for 1933 thru 1936 General Motors bodies for the past 28 years. That is how Rick found me, he bought a cab kit for his 35 Chevrolet pickup about three years ago and asked me if I would tackle the Buick.

When I am all done, I will send you a complete set of photos which you may do whatever with. Not sure if you ever saw the interior of one of these cars but this is what a 1928 Model 28/29 looks like.

Attached are a few photos of my other work..1935 Chevrlet Suburban and some other pics.

Sincerely

Dave Entler

717-235-2112

717-968-2751 Cell

post-48480-143138227418_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313822742_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138227422_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138227424_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138227426_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138227427_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138227429_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313822743_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 12 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bradsan, thanks for linking me. When I have pieces on had for patterns, the work goes much faster. When I don’t have patterns or when what I have is in rough shape, there’s more time involved. To do a Buick I would need the car itself to work from. If there’s some wood present that’s great but to rewood a car with very little wood left in it, one should expect the cost to be significant, probably in the $10K range. Many people think that’s expensive until they try making their own and find to make wood correctly so that it not only fits as it should but supports the metal as it should take hours. I work fairly fast but there’s no way to speed up a “one off” piece or a pair. Wood kits out there for sale are based on the company making “runs” of pieces like 5-6 pairs of A pillars at a time. Your planer is set up, your pattern is out, your routers have the needed bits and are set to the proper depths, and any required jigs are set up. This type of production allows parts to be made faster and the cost to go down. This is much different than doing wood for one car at a time. 
     I am currently considering to getting more involved with the car wood business and ave already started upgrading my equipment and tooling. While there’s not as many looking for car wood, there’s even less making it and even less doing it well. When I think of some who think wood parts are expensive, many of those same people are willing to pay $12-$15,000 to get their car painted. Having dabbled in both trades, I can tell you there’s many more hours involved in woodworking than the bodywork and paint in most cases. The Oldsmobile in the attached thread has a ton of both!

• Like 5

Ted

I was wondering if you were still thinking of becoming more involved as a business, I think you mentioned this a few years back when a business was up for sale . I think you would have no shortage of customers!

Brad

• 4 weeks later...