1971 Buick Skylark - Question??

Guest Roark

Guest Roark

Just purchased a 1971 Buick Skylark 4 Door Sedan. On the side of the vehicle in black letters is a square with the letters SSS. The previous owners told me that it referred to Super Sport Skylark, but I have been unable to locate any information on the internet about this.

Does anyone have an idea what the SSS could mean?

Does the Super Sport Skylark exist?

Thanks for your help!

In that earlier timeframe, the term "sport sedan" was generally NOT known on this side of "the water", but was popular in Europe to describe BMW sedans and such. In the earlier 1960s, Chevrolet did use the term "Sport Sedan" to refer to Impala 4-door hardtops, though, but it was more of a marketing situation than anything else.

Also, anything with "sport" attached to it, much less "super sport" would have been a two-door hardtop or convertible . . . NOT a two or four door sedan.

Other considerations might be how the vehicle was equipped. Generally, anything with "sport" would have included a larger 4-bbl V-8 engine, upgraded suspension (think rear sway bar), wider-than-stock tires (G60-15, for example), dual exhausts, and bucket seats.

I, like others, suspect this is a "fantasy" situation that might have been "something" a dealer or prior owner might have added (the "SSS" emblem) to be able to identify the particular vehicle rather than remember the license plate number. Perhaps those were the initials of the original owner's name? Super Secret Society of _________________?

Just some thoughts . . . . . . . .

NTX5467

Guest Roark

Here's the picture of the logo. Not sure if this will change any of your thoughts or opinions. Thanks for the responses guys.

post-68199-143138225908_thumb.jpg

By the cracking, it appears to be an emblem, or possibly paint. Buick generally put their emblems on in metal. Unless it was a form of personalization, perhaps it was a dealer's mark.

To my recollection, Buick never used SS for anything. GS was the Buick brand.

The attached picture does not indicate anything "factory" about it, with all due respect . . . whether in paint or metal. The font of the letters does not match anything I remember from GM or Buick at any point in time.

I'm sure it has some significance, but not for a "special edition" vehicle produced by Buick.

Take care,

NTX5467