What is this???

Guest cuemando

Guest cuemando

G'day from Australia. It's wet here for a change so it's time for some research.

This is a project I'm thinking of acquiring but I don't know what it is or if it's worth the hard work. This is what I have been told. It came to Oz without a roof. The owners wife hated the wind in her hair, so, the old man had to put a roof on it or get rid of it. He should have got rid of her but that's all I know.

Under the roof lining along the top of the windscreen I can feel the press studs where the convertable roof must have buttoned up. Also where the roof hits the rear quarters, she's a bit dodgy, but the roof seems to fit the windows well.

Here's some pics.

Oh well, I think it's a 1965 Electra? It has wildcat interior. Here's the number off the plate inside the lefthand door jam. 466396C100432

Any help will be good. I have heard there were 60 odd 4 door convertables made but they never went to production?

Thanks.

post-68136-14313822306_thumb.jpg

post-68136-143138223069_thumb.jpg

post-68136-143138223074_thumb.jpg

Edited by cuemando
Upload. (see edit history)

Looks like I am the first to respond this early morning here in the US. Wow, it sure is interesting what some people will do with a car. I am no expert in this year, or models, but it does look interesting.

I would have liked to see what the first owner there did with the area behiend the rear seats where the conv. top would have fit.

I hope someone can soon offer you more info on the numbers, etc. Good luck with the project.

John

Hi from another Aussie:)

From the one picture I can view it looks to be a 66 Electra Hardtop.

If the story you were told about the roof was true I think you will find that it had been cut off in the first place which unfortunately was something that was done from time to time years ago:(

True convertibles in 66 were only ever 2 door versions and the fabric convertible roof did not attach at the front by press studs. It was electric and closed down onto the front with 2 latches.

If the roof on that 66 has been removed and put back on then (unless it is an excellent job) I'd stear clear of it. Unfortunately 4 door sedans do not comand a very high resale value and one with that sort of history would be worth even less.

Of course if it going very cheap and you don't mind the shortcomings then maybe it's something you can have some fun with..............

Where in OZ is the car and yourself?

Regards

Guest cuemando

Thanks to John and Brian.

I'm in central Vic. If I take it on, the roof has to come back off as it has been regoed here as convertable, so with the roof on, it would need engineering, yeah? I think it would be tough with a 5 or maybe 7 post bullbar on the front with a couple of 14' aeriels, side skirts with LED clearance lights and some CAT mudflaps and 6" exhausts with rain hats out the back. Load up some mates, RUM and swags and hit the B&S ball circuit.....

I think way too much work to be even a neat street car....B&S style, rough enough will do.

I don't think it's worth $3000.

Definatly had no roof when it got here. Could the roof be Chev impala?

Edited by cuemando (see edit history)

Guest WillingtonCad

466396C1004324=Buick

66 = Wildcat Custom

39 = 4 door hardtop (no B Pillar post)

6 = 1966

C = built in South Gate , CA

100432 = 432nd Wildcat produced

So, not sure what the conv stuff is all about unless the tag was from another car. A conv from the full size GM cars have different side windows too.

Edited by WillingtonCad (see edit history)

Guest cuemando
466396C1004324=Buick

66 = Wildcat Custom

39 = 4 door hardtop (no B Pillar post)

6 = 1966

C = built in South Gate , CA

100432 = 432nd Wildcat produced

So, not sure what the conv stuff is all about unless the tag was from another car. A conv from the full size GM cars have different side windows too.

That's what I was looking for. Thanks very much there mate. Now it's time to talk dollars with the owner.

Pete,

You're right about the guards .....I should have picked up on that but grille had me fooled into thinking Electra as the Wildcat Grille is very different. The interior photo wasn't showing when I first posted so I couldn't see the Wildcat door trims..........did Wildcats have woodgrain dash trims as an option on the 66? I thought that was Electra only

Guest cuemando
That is a Wildcat front fender, Wildcat front fender ornaments, and Wildcat interior door panel. Looks like the grille might be Electra, but the rest of the car is not.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, Texas

Thanks Pete,

The grille is two Chrysler Valiant grilles cut down. Up close you can tell it doesn't sit quite right at the headlights.

Guest cuemando

Any ideas as to what it is worth. The owner wants around the AU$6000. I'd only be offering $2000-$3000 at the most. As I said, it needs a lot of work to be a neat streeter, my plan would be a bit feral and wouldn't cost a lot.

I think $2000 would be a very, very generous offer. It appears to need paint, wheel covers are missing, grille doesn't fit right, and how much of the car's structural integrity has been compromised from the cut off and reattached roof?

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman,Texas

I think $6,000 is way too much considering what's missing and the problems you have highlighted. A good original 4 door Wildcat would be struggling to achieve $10,000-.

The motor and trans (if they are the correct 401 or 425 & ST400 ) would make up most of the value of the car so your figure of $2,000 would be a more realistic starting point...........then only if the car has the right drive train and it is in good going condition.

I know of guys looking for a good nailhead 401 or 425 so you could certainly get between $1,000 - $1,800 for the drive train.........again......as long as it is in going condition...............worth very little if it's stuffed.

Regards

Guest cuemando

Yeah right. It does need paint. I'd be going Matt Caterpillar yellow, flat black and a bit of red. With the structural integrity, wouldn't it be all good because it's got a full chassis?

There are two sets of hub caps in the boot. One set look a bit like old Monaro GTS rims, the other set are a bit plain but Buick for sure. Both look cool on my Toyota Hilux/Pick-up with the 35" MTZs.

Cuemando: What a simply wild story you have been told regarding this car. You found the right Forum to come to for the truth. There can be no question that the car is a real 1966 Wildcat Custom 4 door hardtop thart sports the correct Wildcat Custom Series interior. Wildcats used their own distinctive grille vs. that used by the Lesabre and Electra. Is this car truly a right hand drive vehicle? My understanding is that Buick stopped building right hand vehicles before the 1960's decade. I also understand that custom conversions were done in Australia but not by GM. US Wildcats did not use woodgrain on their instrument panel as did the Electra. I learned to drive on a 66 Wildcat sedan purchased new by my parents in April of 1966. No 4 door convertibles either. Again, what a fairy tale of a story.

Guest cuemando

Yeah, the old girl has a bit of history for sure and now know what it is. Thanks to all for their help.

It has been converted to right hand drive. I think the wood grain might be that stick on book cover stuff, we call it contact here.

It was on the net somewhere that I read about the 4 door convertable.

Motor is a 401.

I think it's gunna end up on ebay. I've got too many projects as it is without this thing.

It would have been a cool car to learn to drive in.