1956 Buick Special Brake Problems

Guest mode101

Guest mode101

Hello together,

I´m from germany and I have a 1956 Buick Special (40) with a 322 engine. The VIN starts 4C3xxxxxx

But the brakebooster is not working and I need a new one.

The number on the brakebooster says 5455096, so it is this Delco Moraine.

The point is that we already rebuilded the master cylinder with this available rebuild kit, but the point is, thet the brake pedal doesn´t come back up. It seems as there is too much vacuum.

On the picture attached i tried to mark the part which we think which is damaged.

Can anybody tell me where I could get a new or rebuild one?

Thanks in advance

mode

post-67912-143138214834_thumb.jpg

post-67912-143138214839_thumb.jpg

post-67912-143138214844_thumb.jpg

post-67912-143138214847_thumb.jpg

post-67912-14313821485_thumb.jpg

post-67912-143138214854_thumb.jpg

post-67912-143138214858_thumb.jpg

Guest NikeAjax

Ouch! That one's going to be spendy$$$$$$$!!!! The problem with the 1956's is that they're one-year-only for a lot of the parts, ESPECIALLY the brakes. I would suggest that you search on-line for some re-builders; the last I looked about 5-years ago, a rebuild was $1,500 USD: the good thing is is that you have a core. Make sure you speak to whoever is doing the work on the phone, and ask how many they've rebuilt! Those things ARE EXTREMELY RARE!

Good luck,

Jaybird

Guest NikeAjax

Oh, another thing is MOST rebuilders send them to maybe three places, and don't do the work themselves! I think there's a place in San Jose California that does most of them: I think it's called "Precision Brake". These are really good folks, the owner is very personable and knows his stuff. I moved away from San Jose about five years ago, so my memory is pretty foggy here, but they're the real thing when it comes to brakes; they do a lot of work for race cars and semi-tractors!

Good luck

Jaybird

Try this, I think this is IT!

Power Brake Exchange

* (408) 292-1305

260 Phelan Ave, San Jose, CA 95112

* powerbrakeexchange.com

Guest mode101

HI,

thanks for the info. I have found 3 companies who offer the rebuilding...

one of them is Apple Hydraulics, so i think i will give them a try... hope it will work...

I thought maybe someone else had already the same problems or have such a power brakemaster core...

thanks

mode

• 5 years later...

I have a question on this topic- were the power brakes available on the 1956 Special or was this an add-on?

I have the same question regarding the Super-  I always see these two models with manual brakes.

And if this was an option, does anyone know if this was the same Delco Moraine unit used in the1956 Century as well?

It looks exactly the same and I just found not one, but TWO used cores for $150 each! But they're out of a 1956 Buick Super and it's too far away for me to look at.

There's a 3rd one too but the canister is rusty so I don't know if it's worth a rebuild.

By the way, the 3 outfits I found are:

$335 – Power Brake Exchange, CA – Michael: 408-292-1305    (+$20 return shipping)

$375 – Apple Hydraulics, NY – Lazar: 631-369-9515   (+$45 return shipping)

$445 – White Post Restorations, VA – Billy: (540) 837-1140   (+$50 return shipping)

Any one know of any one else out there willing to touch this unit?

I had mine done in California back in 1988 or so.  Can't recall the outfit who did it but it could be the one you found.  I remember it being $300.00 and after it was done I discovered the leak was one of the wheel cylinders.  Still I was glad I had it done and have not had any problems with it.

I had this problem on a '57 with the pedal not returning. Per the service manual, remove the top cover, where the tag is in your first photo and add a few drops of ATF. Pump the pedal and all should return to normal. You will have to put the booster back on the car to do this.

For my 1958 Buick Super power brake unit I used the guy in Punta Gorda Florida.  He advertizes in HMnews.  YOu can call him and describe your power brake unit and he

will tell you if he can help you.  My PBrake unit took two tries, but it was finally done right.

By the way, the 3 outfits I found are:

$335 – Power Brake Exchange, CA – Michael: 408-292-1305    (+$20 return shipping)

$375 – Apple Hydraulics, NY – Lazar: 631-369-9515   (+$45 return shipping)

$445 – White Post Restorations, VA – Billy: (540) 837-1140   (+$50 return shipping)

Any one know of any one else out there willing to touch this unit?