58 Buick wiper conversion

Guest RCollord

Guest RCollord

Can anyone give me some leads on converting to electric wipers in the 1958 Buick. I have changed over to a 59 oil pump....a better pump....and sacrificed the vacuum pump doing so. I'd like a good electric conversion for this driver car.

You might check out the street rod magazines to see if one of the "other GM" products might have a conversion kit (changing vacuum wipers to full electric) that might work with your Buick.

An alternative might be to get one of the electric vacuum pumps (OEM on some recent vehicles to help maintain power brake vacuum in panic stops) that you could add to run the wipers exclusively rather than use manifold vacuum. Last time I looked, the OEM GM item was about $200.00, but that might be easier than doing a complete hardware conversion. Not to forget about "the incognito factor".

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest RCollord

Hi Jerry,

Yes, I got the system right away. It installed with no problem. I got the pump from them too...just to speed things up. It mounted nicely under the washer bottle mount. Everything fit perfectly. Have not really road tested it yet.

Guest gunjeep444

Thanks! Can you do it just from the engine compartment, or do you need to remove the dash pad to do it and hook up to the mech there? You put the switch in to replace the original switch, if so how do you get the old one off?

Guest gunjeep444

Good read, thanks. Still like to know how to remove the old switch and if you need to get into the dash to hook up stuff inside to the motor?

Thanks for the info RCollard. Can you expound on the oil pump switch? I've got a spare '59 oil pump laying around.....what is involved in swapping it into the '58 and what are the benefits?

Also, did you change the oil filter and if so, what kind of adaptor did you use? (I've got an adaptor off a '59, but not sure if it will fit and am not crazy about spending $70 for the newly machined ones listed on ebay)

Thanks!

Just bolt a 1959/60 Oil filter base to your 57/58 then you can use any modern oil filter. You don't have to buy the one the guy makes on ebay. I think the inside diameter is just a tad smaller due to the adaptor center threading that is necessary. Using an OEM is the better way to go IMO.

I find this presentation very interesting and well presented. However, I am still in the process of rebuilding my vacuum system completely. I need to find someone who rebuilds these oil pump mounted main vacuum pumps that are bolted to the engine oil pump for starters. Anyone know of a source. Let me and the rest of us know.

Thanks

David