38 Buick model 41

Guest captbrian38

Guest captbrian38

For sale, '38 Buick Special,Irene hit me hard, lost my 2004 Marauder to flooding and the Buick is drying out now. Rebuilt original engine by CAMS in New Bern, NC, new clutch, new brake shoes and wheel cylinders, and rebuilt master cyl. Solid, original car in fair condition, needing an interior, glass, and rear drivers fender clipped at a cruise in and general TLC, but it's all there, you have to search for nothing. Registered with a good NC title. Less than 400 miles on rebuilt engine with receipts. Can deliver within 300 miles for price of trip. Located near New Bern, NC. $4000, engine and parts alone are worth this. Brian @ 917 699-0409

post-51293-143138395064_thumb.jpg

post-51293-143138395311_thumb.jpg

post-51293-143138395315_thumb.jpg

post-51293-143138395317_thumb.jpg

post-51293-143138395321_thumb.jpg

post-51293-143138395324_thumb.jpg

post-51293-143138395326_thumb.jpg

post-51293-143138395328_thumb.jpg

post-51293-14313839533_thumb.jpg

post-51293-143138395332_thumb.jpg

Edited by captbrian38
price reduction (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest captbrian38

Danny, I guess it's the economy, no one wanting to part with cash even for a decent car. I have a '41 Plymouth Business coupe, a TPC-P11 and want to put some money into it even though it is also a driver and original car, but I guess I have to get rid of one to benefit the other. For now I share the driving between the cars. Cruise ins and shows and the like.

captbrian38

I've seen this car up here for a couple of years, as well as a few other '37-38 Buicks in similar condition. Mechanically great. But.....Fogged glass, dried out window rubbers, and interior that is really past being called "patina". If that stuff was fixed the car would sell in a heartbeat for thousands more. But yes, it would cost thousands to fix! On the buyer's end, if you're going to pay for a new interior and glass, it's about the same cost to do it to a Century or Roadmaster as on a Special. Most buyers seek out the higher end cars if they know they have to dump thousands into it anyway. Don't want to sound like a poop, but it's a fact of life. It's a neat old car, but it's still a Special with 4 doors on it.

Don't want to run your car down! I almost called you several times. But rather than insult you with a lowball offer, I've kept an eye on this post every now and then wondering if You'd ever make some improvements along the way. Just thought I'd drop in my unsolicited 2 cents worth.....

Guest captbrian38

Hey Joe, sure I've thought about making improvements to enhance the sellability but let's take for example the fogged glass. Do you replace the glass and rubber seals before say painting or do you clean, prime and paint the frames (but what color, original Botticelli Blue or a neutral black) replace the glass and rubber and then someone has to remove or tape all that work to repaint a car his own color choice. Or worse still do you dismantle the interior and redo it first. Now you have boxes of parts and say to a perspective buyer I have everything here in these boxes you just have to put it togther. I think it's better to leave well enough alone at this point, offer it for a reasonable price with all the mechanicals right and leave it up to a new owner. You make some valid points but as I've said in previous posts the car doesn't cost me anything to sit in my garage, I get the pleasure of keeping it running along with the Plymouth and I can drive it weekly to put additional miles on the engine, take it to cruise-ins with a FS sign on it and it will sell eventually. As far as not being a high end model, well I've seen some lovely specials and the like at Hershey and other AACA events and believe me I think it's better to go to one source for a complete car as opposed to buying a car in pieces or worse, terrible shape because it's a Roadmonster and have to start hunting for all the parts that are already on this car with a record of where they go as you dismantle for a restoration or someone can drive it as a HPOF while they make improvements. Sometimes just driving them is half the fun and you can drive this one. Just my answer to your 2 cents.

thanks, captbrian38

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest captbrian38

thanx for asking, family OK. As I've said here people who have nothing lost everything, at least I have some stuff left and place to live. Buick got water in the crankcase through the breather and displaced all the oil and you can imagine what a mess that was. Drained filled with fresh oil and pulled plugs to crank easier and got a new battery to help the process. Will tune and try to start in the next few days and get it up to temp.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
Guest captbrian38

Hi all, got Buick running and it is running well. Needs to be washed real good but it will survive to go on for another 70 odd years. Alos needs rear drivers fender fixed, got misshapen in a swipe at a cruise in, but the car is still all there and all original, needing nothing but elbow grease and TLC.