Cars in the "Godfather" movies

Bill Stoneberg

We just finished watching Godfather 1 & 2 after not seeing them for 25 years. I was amazed at some of the beautiful cars in the movie. Buicks, woodies, Mercedes, and old Cadillac Limos along with the usual Fords, Chevys and Dodges.<BR>One group of scenes when the were in Cuba (Godfather 2) was nothing more than eye candy to an old car person. I had problems following the plot at times because we kept hitting pause and looking at the cars.<BR>If you haven't watched these movies in awhile, I think you would be pleasently surprised especially now that they are DVD and you can stop and really check out the cars.

David ~ It was Sonny who was shot in the Lincoln, but wasn't it a Continental and not a Zephyr. I haven't seen the movie in 25 years, so I could be wrong. ` hvs

Remember the scene in GF 2 I think with Clemenza complaining about his new car with the following remark "stupid detroit sent my car with wooden bumpers for chrissake, now I gotta wait 'til this war is over for the real ones" grin.gif" border="0

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Clemenza was the one who remembered to take the canoli from the car after a hit. I do not remember who they were killing or why, its been a while since I saw GF I. Like any good Italian Clemenza knew not to waste perfectly good canoli when you have to waste someone. shocked.gif" border="0<p>[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: SalG ]

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

I never saw GF 3, I do remember that it got bad reviews and Coppola's daughter Sophia was panned. frown.gif" border="0 I did read the original book while in HS. I do have a some what of a relationship to Mario Puzo, his sister was a secretary at my JHS and his house is about a mile from my parents. As close as I will ever get to a big time author.

In GF 2 they whack Paulie. after getting cannolis Clemenza says " hey Paulie, pull over,I gotta take a leak" while he's thus occupied Paulie {the driver} gets garrotted or shot, forget which.

My favorite scene was from the original Godfather. The character played by Abe Vigoda [Tessio I believe] found out that he was going to be liquidated and appealed to Mike to save him. <P>Mike's reply went something like, "I always liked you Sallie, but business is business"<P>And then Sal went for a ride.<P>I always thought there was a lesson there and adopted it as a personal code when doing business. You do not let friendship interfere with sound business judgement. Never appoint someone to a position no matter how good a friend they may be, if they are NOT the best person for the job. Sometimes you lose friends that way, but the end result is to the good of the business or organization. ~ hvs<p>[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: hvs ]

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

HVS, Tessio is the correct name, he wanted to be saved for "old time sake". The problem was that Tessio wanted a bigger piece of the action and he made an overture to Michael at Don Vito's funeral. Don Vito always said the one to betray the family would be the one you least expect.

Always enjoyed GF I, which depicted the trechery and savage nature of "the organization". Marlon Brando was realistic as the Don and all the scenes were loaded with cars. grin.gif" border="0<P>Now was this Hollywood's version of the Mafia? Yeah, I guess so, but it was interesting. In real life these guys turned out to be just a bunch of bozo hoods. I think these Sicilians probably would take a back seat to the famed Russian mafia, who appear to be totally ruthless and probably laced with former KGB operatives. But any movie made about the Russian mob's exploits would not have all those nice antique american cars! shocked.gif" border="0

Compare the Godfather series to the Sapranos that is on HBO (or DVD if you dont have cable). In the Godfather 1 & 2 there are few bad words and some violence, Godfather 3 gets more graphic and exploits the bad language. The Spranos take it to the next extreme.<BR>I envision the Sapranos as probably closer to the truth.

Guest 70 Electra

Dave,<BR>While not a "car inaccuracy", one mistake in American Graffiti is the final song from the movie: Beach Boys "All Summer Long". This was the only song in the movie that was actually post-62 (1964 I believe).<P>While not technically inaccurate, I always found it tough to swallow that Ron Howard's 58 Impala was described as having a 327. Possible, I suppose, but how many working class kids had brand new engines in their high school cars? (327 was introduced in 1962)<P>I agree Love Bug is great for car scenes. My personal favorite is Bullit. Not only a great movie, with a great chase, but the background shots are FILLED with classics. You, in particular, will appreciate the 1960 Buick coupe--dark blue with white top--that is seen briefly during the car wash scene.<P>Runners up for car movies are French Connection, and 7-Ups. The latter has a boat load (no pun intended) of 73 Pontiacs. Shaffer oughta like that!

If any of you are like I am and enjoy finding inaccuracies in movies or documentaries [i drive my wife nuts when I point them out] go the the History channel.<P>There are always cars up to 10 years newer than the date of the scene. There are buildings in the background which were not in existance at the time of the event. <P>In one recurring scene, there are pictures of Luftwaffe ace, Werner Moelders climbing out of his ME 109 in a scene depicting 1943-44. Moelders was killed in 1941 in an HE 111 crash, while flying back to Berlin from the Eastern Front to attend the funeral of Gen. Ernst Udet. BUT IT'S REALLY A GREAT PICTURE, SO WHY NOT THROW IT INTO THE STORY. Who'll ever know? rolleyes.gif" border="0<P>Don't ever rely on the History Channel for accurate history when it comes to the pictures. They seem to use any film footage or still photos they have on hand to add to the story. mad.gif" border="0 <P>From time to time History Channel International goes back to the Crusades, the Middle Ages or even to the time of Christ. I always remark that I bet they will show films. rolleyes.gif" border="0 ~ hvs

A couple other films good for old cars are 'The Rocketeer' and 'The Sting'.<P>Rocketeer has a nice 34 Ford roadster early on, some great air racing with Thompson trophy-type craft and finally Howard Hughes shows up in a Pierce Arrow. <P>Sting has a memorable scene of a late twenties big (Buick?) touring car getting thoroughly rained on.

Another old movie with lots of vintage cars is the annual Christmas network movie classic "It's a Wonderful Life", which spans the late teens to just past WWII. smile.gif" border="0

If you want to have some fun while watching the Godfather series (especially the 1950's scenes in Godfather 2), spend some time picking out the historical inaccuracies in the cars they used. There are several times in the movie when you know it's 1956 and a 1959 car is featured. <P>It's been qiuite a few years since I've seen the films, but I remember in particular police cars were almost never of the correct year (usually 2-3 years newer). Also there were discussions of political events (notably JFK & RFK) that took place in cars that weren't quite right. Also, I may be wrong, but wasn't the scene in which the Lincoln was shot up supposed to be in 1938 or 1939?<P>I used to have a friend who'd enjoy finding errors like this with armaments in war movies. It's pretty much the same thing.<P>Oh, and the 1955 Chevy in American Grafitti (Where were you in '62?) had a 427 big block, which I believe was the only historical inaccuracy in that movie.Leave it to a hot-rodder like George Lucas to get it right! smile.gif" border="0

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

While not necessarily an inaccuracy, what about the James Bond movie (Live and Let Die, I think it was.) where every car on the crowded interstate was a '73 Chevy Impala?

And probably the biggest movie goof was the historic British comedy film "Genivive," about the London to Brighton Run. Its a superb film if you like early cars but the star of the film, the Spyker, was subsequently investigated by the Veteran Motor Car Club and found to be incorrectly dated. It was actually ineligible to participate in the run! <P>Back to the Godfather - I had the pleasure of living in Sicily for two years courtesy of the USN. Took advantage of the chance to learn all I could about the land and of course one of their most famous export products - the mafia. Even got to travel to places used in filming the movie. Yes, there really is a village in the mountains called Corleone, and it was used in the movie extensively. Very quiet village that apparently has not had an American tourist there since the movie was produced. I expected to be able to buy a T shirt to commemorate my visit but no such luck.

I am a professed History Channel junkie. It's probably compensting for the indifference I had for history when a student.<BR>I used to believe the History Channel made errors in coordinating film clips and other graphics with the dialogue. It is so prevalent in their presentations, that I now believe it is just lousy production. Nobody can make all the obvious errors they make and still be employed.(or can they)<P> The History Channel consistently causes me to experience what I have titled: "Chronological Whiplash". Most of their presentations will include audio accompanied by graphics that may be 5-10 years or even decades out of synch. It's just plain sloppy work; not historical ignorance. Of course, that is just---------.<P><BR> Tom

Sorry guys, but since the move I'm stuck just checking this thing once a week or so!<P>--Greg,<P>The "327" in the '58 was actually a stock 348. In the same speech Charles Martin Smith says he has a Jeep and a bunch of horses! He was just trying to score with "Candy". (I wish <B>that</B> was the dumbest thing I'd ever said to impress a girl!)<P>The street scenes in <I>Bullit</I> are fun, but you really have to see <I>The Love Bug</I> in slow motion to believe it. Inside of 5 minutes, without exaggerating, you can see this group racing: Aallard, Austin-Healy, Abarth, Arnolt-Bristol, AC-Ace, and an Appollo! And then we go on to the B's..... grin.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0<P>By the way, here's my favorite <I>American Grafitti</I> story: The cars in the movies were sold for book value before the movie came out (according to an artical I read in a car magazine of the time--I think it was Car Craft). The '58 Chevy was sold to a young (19?) young man who took his date to the movies on the night <I>American Grafitti</I> premiered. As that movie let out, he pulled into the parking lot and was mobbed (not knowing why! shocked.gif" border="0 ). <P>And Hal, half those "crowded interstates" in <I>Live and Let Die</I> were in <B>Hong Kong!!</B> I'm <I>really</I> sure the Hong Kong Police Dept. was so well stocked with full size Chevys in 1973. {Kind of makes you yearn for the gritty realism of <I> Moonraker</I>, doesn't it?}