Silent Film

HarryJ

This film is described in period ads as "The $40,000, 5-Reel Feature Film Sensation". It was released in September, 1914 in association with local Maxwell dealers, to promote the 1915 Maxwell. It showed the manufacturing process as well as race and test footage. The dealership would sponsor the film in the local theater or lecture hall. Often, the crowd was encouraged to view the genuine article outside after the film. Here's an original ad: Ellensburg Daily Record - Google News Archive Search

I tried a search of the Library of Congress Film Collection without success. There is a film featuring a 1920 Maxwell automobile, however, but in a dramatic role: "Something New" starring Nell Shipman. It's available on DVD. From the reviews I've read, its a pretty thin plot, but has lots of scenes of the Maxwell laboring over rough terrain. Should be a good one for the car buff!

Phil

Edited by MochetVelo (see edit history)

Thanks...................JFranklin and MochetVelo, I hope a copy of this film can be found. The problem with films of this era is that they were produced on nitro cellulose film which is prone to disintergrating over time. Are there any other archives extant worth checking?

Edited by HarryJ (see edit history)

This film is described in period ads as "The $40,000, 5-Reel Feature Film Sensation". It was released in September, 1914 in association with local Maxwell dealers, to promote the 1915 Maxwell. It showed the manufacturing process as well as race and test footage. The dealership would sponsor the film in the local theater or lecture hall. Often, the crowd was encouraged to view the genuine article outside after the film. Here's an original ad: Ellensburg Daily Record - Google News Archive Search

I tried a search of the Library of Congress Film Collection without success. There is a film featuring a 1920 Maxwell automobile, however, but in a dramatic role: "Something New" starring Nell Shipman. It's available on DVD. From the reviews I've read, its a pretty thin plot, but has lots of scenes of the Maxwell laboring over rough terrain. Should be a good one for the car buff!

Phil

I've seen this film and after watching it I'm amazed that Maxwell didn't get the Jeep contract for WWII !! I had no idea these cars could stand this much abuse. But it is fun to watch and now I can see why so many old cars carcasses are found in such remote places.

Howard Dennis

Howard, where did you see this film? I would like a copy of it or a source of a copy. Yes, cars of this era could perform almost as good or better than today's 4-wheel drive vehicles. I would put my Model "A" up against today's Landrover. I have driven cross country many times. Please let me know where I can get a copy of this film.

Edited by HarryJ (see edit history)

This is from my June 23 2007 post:

For Father's day my daughter got me this DVD that kept turning up everytime I did a web search for WWI era Maxwell items. It arrived today and I recommend it highly. It is titled " Nell Shipman Collection Volume 2" The Website is: Nell Shipman-Idaho Film Collection . It costs $19.95 . It's 96 Minutes of 1918-20 silent film footage of movies, a 1918 Maxwell commercial and an interview with Jack Benny's daughter. About half of the DVD is footage of several 1918 Maxwell's being thrashed within an inch of their lives over terrain you would not believe a tank could navigate!! Even if the model 25 is not your type Maxwell it's worth seeing what our ancestors put these early cars through. You'll come away with a new respect for this competitor of the Model T.

Enjoy, Howard Dennis