Looking for a good source for Reproduction Riviera Items (1965)

Guest hctarcs

Guest hctarcs

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to the forums. I'm looking for a good source for reproduction Riviera parts (I own a 1965). Aside from Ebay, are there any companies with catalogs that you can recommend?

Clark's Corvair and Riviera parts Clark's Corvair Parts - Clark's Corvair - What's New

and

CARS/Old Buick Parts Old Buick Parts - CARS. Inc.

Have both been great to deal with and have good paper catalogs and web sites.

A new comer is OPG Chevelle Parts, Chevelle Restoration Parts & Accessories, El Camino Restoration Parts & Accessories, Restoration Parts, Monte Carlo Parts, GTO Parts, Cutlass Parts, Skylark Parts, Cadillac Parts

BUT also check with your local auto parts store. They may need to get out of the computer and pull the paper/book catalogs but you might be surprised what they do carry if they only look a bit deeper.

Welcome to the Forum.

For the most comprehensive list of parts sources both used and new, joining the Riviera Owners Association is your best bet. http://www.rivowners.org/

If you are doing a decent amount of work to your car the annual dues will be saved many times over as a result of the education you will receive as member.

Since these cars aren't mainstream like Camaros and Mustangs selecting the right part for your needs isn't always a cut and dried process like picking from catalogs offered for the mainstream cars. Its not uncommon for me to use 8-12 different sources for parts when restoring a Riviera. ROA has a huge amount of information available to its members including Technical Advisors that specialize in each year Riviera.

Some parts are available from different suppliers and I like having those choices available so I can evaluate quality and price before buying.

Good luck with your 65

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Guest hctarcs

Thanks Guys. I've heard many good things about the ROA. I'm still uncertain what paid membership grants. Can someone enlighten me here?

Check out the ROA web site for the information on what you receive as a member. Here is a good place to start...

Welcome to the Riviera Owners Association Homepage

As Jason said, you'll find the cost of membership cheap in relationship to the wealth of information you will receive from other members. If you are truly passionate about the Riviera, joining the ROA is a no-brainer...

Good luck with your project.

Thanks Guys. I've heard many good things about the ROA. I'm still uncertain what paid membership grants. Can someone enlighten me here?

Besides black and white answers you can get from the website, I'll try to expand a bit.

You will get the ROA newsletter "Riview" 6 times per year and access to the "members only" section of the website. It opens up a whole new world to Riviera owners who struggle to find technical and parts information. The newsletter is a very high quality publication and even if you aren't looking for parts or services, its great entertainment you can't get anywhere else for the Riv enthusiast.

Since you seem to be interested in parts sources, I'll tailor this repsonse accordingly. There aren't a lot of parts reproduced for these cars which means you will need to find used or rebuilt parts. There is no single source that comes close compared to parts sources listed by dealers and private individuals in the "Riview" newsletter

A common mistake some newcomers make is thinking they can find any information they need on forums like this. If you have a Mustang or Camaro yes that would be true. When it comes to Buicks and especially Rivieras, less than 10% of true dia-hard Buick & Riviera enthusiasts frequent online forums. There is a wealth of information out there thats inaccessible via online. While Rivieras have slowly gained popularity, they aren't even close to mainsteam classic cars we see all the time which means there are far fewer people who have good parts sources not to mention the knowledge to repair these cars properly.

As you start working on your car, you will fiind what seems like a simple concept of unbolting an old part and installing a new one can be far from routine and having access to ROA really pays off if you have any concern at all for doing things the right way. If you ever need to replace your heater core or work on your clamshell headlights, you will wish you had help only a phone call or email away.

I have been a 67 and 71 Riv enthusiast/restorer for around 30 years. I recently began a restoration on 66 and while it seemed very similar to the 67 and should be a no-brainer for someone with all that experience, I am learning it is the opposite. I have used the ROA Tech Advisors and parts sources countless times already and I'm only 25% through the resto. There just isn't anywhere else to go for certain information.

Sure many Riv owners get by without joining ROA and I know its not for everyone. I talked to a non-ROA member a while back. They had been into Rivs for many years and I was surprised they weren't a member being that involved. They said they didn't like being a member of any club because they didn't want to give their VIN number out. VIN info is not asked for by ROA.

Anyway the person went on to proudly tell me how they got the headlights working on a 67. After what must have been hours of troubleshooting, they installed extra switches, relays and wiring to bypass the original system and all they needed was to replace an original relay for $20 they didn't know existed. If they were an ROA member, a quick call to an advisor would have saved hours of frustration and the need to bypass what is typically a very reliable system.

Many classified ads for parts and services in the Riview newsletter you won't find on ebay or online. Because of contacts I have made over the years, I can buy "some" parts less expensively compared to someone who does not have these contacts. Going even further, due to friendships I developed through ROA, it has also given me the opportunity to buy rare parts that were never even advertised.

While many car clubs are suffering declines in membership during this economic downturn, ROA is fortunate to be gaining membership and for good reason. It stands to reason car club memberships can be the first thing cut from a budget when people fall on hard times.

ROA's gains are an excellent indicator of the value an ROA membership offers.

Hope this helps

Edited by JZRIV
SP (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ErikDurocher

Hello,

I'm not yet a Riv owner but likely will be very soon (hopefully a black '64) - so I've been researching parts availabily...

As you may know RockAuto has TONS of parts & seem to be lowest cost. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

So does www.opgi.com - also see www.buickstreet.com for many resources & Info.

Also, here is a huge listing of several other Buick parts suppliers. http://www.buickpartsdirectory.com/engine.htm

Best of luck.

-Erik