1955 Buick Power Window Conversion

Guest katsfan

Guest katsfan

Adding power windows to my '55 Super 2 door coupe. Fronts are easy as hot rod kits work great.

Rear windows are more difficult as no kit is available. Will power kits for Chevy or the like work?

Not quite sure how to remove the rear window tracks. Windows appear to be rivited to the tracks, not screwed like the fronts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Guest katsfan

Thanks for the response. The problem with the universal kits is the window crank extends about 6" out from the door panel so it will look like a kit - not a smooth factory look.

It might be best looking for original factory power windows out of a junker but they don't seem to come up on normal sources (like ebay, etc).

I believe MrEarl told me recently that he has some 55 power window parts -- I think he said front only? I'm sure he'll chime in...

chiming....

all I have are PW's for 1 55 Super 4 Door sedan and 1 56 Century 4 door hardtop (frnt and bk)... and a bunch of 54 4 door Roadmaster sedans. Would need to check parts manual to see if anything might interchange with your 2 door...I doubt it. I can furnish motors and switches for you maybe...

McQuire, re the windows you want, I want to wash them and take better pictures as I think they look better in the pics I sent than they are. The snow is gone so maybe this weekend. :) bear with me

Having added power windows to my 55 Olds, which is the same as a Buick, I can tell you it's doable. Not rocket science but it is a PITA. You would think the doors and rear quarters would be predrilled or at least spotted to accept either manual or power. Not so. Templates must be made from a doner car to locate the holes. Wiring harnesses must be made or found along with relays and switches and of course something must be done with the holes in the door panels unless you are getting new ones. And of course the inner workings are completely different than manual. It's not just adding a motor.

Your best bet is finding a donor and taking EVERYTHING that has anything to do with the power windows. I was lucky enough to find a donor in a junk yard that had everything except the switches still in it. It took a day and $500 to get it all.

But they are slick once done.............Bob

You can find what you need HERE. But you will have to get the original windows working well.

I edited the link and it should display now. I have seen these demonstrated at a swap meet and considered them for my 55 CVT. After installation there should be no noticeable difference in the door panel.

Willie