Maxwell engine, transmission, radiator, and radiator shell value?

Guest wyomingfinder

Guest wyomingfinder

Hello forum readers,

There is a fellow here in Sheridan Wyoming who has asked me to help him find out what he can about his Maxwell engine. I have not seen it yet and am hoping a reader might give me a few pointers on taking pictures. I know that the right picture might convey the year it was made and perhaps the model car it came out of. He intends to find a buyer for it eventually. I have no idea what a working 4 cylinder Maxwell motor might be worth. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated. Regards, PR

Guest wyomingfinder

thank you Layden B.

Is there a particular part or stamped number somewhere that I should look for?

I don't know if it's any help, but Chrysler took the company over in1924 and essentially re-branded their current offerings into "Chryslers". I think they had a 6-cylinder which became the Chrysler and a 4-cylinder which stayed "Maxwell"for a few years while he acquired Dodge, then in 1928 he introduced Desoto and Plymouth,that was the end of the line for Maxwell but they are included ,along with Chalmers, in the Chrysler Products Car Club or the Walter P. Chrysler club.If you don't get it identified here you should try those clubs' forums.

For starters- is the radiator shell brass? This will help with the year. If it is 1914 or earlier, certainly may have value. If it is 1915 or later, the price drops and as Laydan stated, may not be worth the freight. Also, condition is key.

• 2 months later...