1927 DB roof

Guest coreyvett

Guest coreyvett

Can anyone help me find the pattern for the wood top framing for my 27 DB four door, or atleast tell me how tall the wood frameing is, or in other words, do i use 1 by or 2 by boards to make the frame. Even a pic of someones framing during there restore. The biggest thing i need know about is the rear section of the roof and how the frame is conected to the sheet metal. I dont wont to restore a 100% perfect million dollar car but i do want it to be as factory as possible. spring is on its way and I would like to take it to a few local shows before i paint it but I do want a roof before I go.

Here is a pic of the corner with a piece of 1 by that i layed on it.

I have gone threw all the posts here and most replies are take it to a shop, I would like to do it myself and im sure there is someone on here that has done it. any help or tips would be very helpful.

post-66152-143138166297_thumb.jpg

post-66152-1431381663_thumb.jpg

I think it might be difficult to find someone here that has a car in the stage that you need the specific info from, best bet would be to join the D.B club so you can get a roster of other members and contact them, you might be lucky enough to find someone that can help. I am sure there are alot of guys that go thru the steps of measuring and making plans when they do this sort of work but because there isnt a huge demand for that info it is eventually lost.

I would also suggest as maybe a quicker alternative to find a similar car on e-bay or in the buy sell section of D.B website/newsletter and ask that owner to snap some pictures and maybe take some measurements.

Last suggestion is to look through past posts on this forum for someone with a similar car and is in process of restoring and appeal to him for help. Usually anyone that is actively looking for info on their car might be more apt to help someone else. Sorry that I cannot give you what you need. If it were 29 than you would already have the response you are looking for.

Corey, I put on a roof for a '29 this last summer. Mine was more of an insert as opposed to yours which really looks like part of the body; extending to the sides of the car. I used oak, though others say it was originally ash framing. I worked with a local woodworker and we laminated 3 layers of 1/4" material to a total depth of 3/4" framing. Doing it this way allowed me to bend the 1/4" layers to match the curvature of my roof. Your '27 looks flatter and may not have any curvature. Hope others can help that have expertise with the '27 models.

Guest chuckjaeson

I have restored a 27 DB Sedan, and have perhaps the pictures you need for your top. The whole top comes off as one piece, and was installed at the factory as such. It was covered in what was called a Cobra Long Grain, kind of a pastic finish over a base similar to oil cloth. The material was purchased from Restoration Supply in a width that went on without a seam. I can send pictures if you'll promise to return them. I believe the wood frame was poplar or gum, and had 4 finger joints as I recall. Contact me if you want, either by e-mail at jaehawks@msn.com, or 253-939-2471. I'm in the Seattle area. I wish you luck! It took me 4 years of off and on labor to do my car.

I recently added another 27 DB to my herd, this 1 a 1st series 4dr sedan. I had bought the chassis a few years ago form a fellow that was going to build a rod. Well, that never happen and I recently bought the body and put it back on its original frame. It too needs a complete top so I would also like to see pictures and info on you top building Chuck. Somehow I have ended up with lots of 1927 cars with 3, 27 Model T's, and 3 1/2, 27 DB's including 2, 124 roadsters and now this sedan. Last of an era in both makes I guess.

Guest 04mustang

hey can anyone help me! I have a 27 4 door with just the outter band of wood on the roof, I need the patteren or pics somthing for the ribs and pretty much everything.

My email is cjwalte2@ncsu.edu or my phone 910-258-2099 im in southern NC

any help is great help!

Its hard to remember sometimes that not everyone comes here every day, sometimes it takes a little time but it sure is nice when it all comes together.

• 10 years later...
13 hours ago, BRADNEL8 said:

This thread is about 10 years old,  Any possibility any of you still have the instructions still, it would be much appreciated, bradnel8@yahoo.com.

Here is some pictures of mine that I rebuilt. Hope it helps. 

96814C30-E63F-4C0A-9C46-DF7AC894FB33.jpeg

960CF64F-28B4-4918-9A14-86F43266AF9D.jpeg

5CA24E66-3CD0-4910-A5CD-B4504786E2B4.jpeg