Delco Systems

Guest Robin Coleman

Guest Robin Coleman

Can anyone tell me or direct me to a source of information of the Delco Systems that were sold in the teens for home power? I have heard of them often, but have never seen one. Sorry this is not auto related save for the connection to AC/Delco.

These units were real popular out here in the country side where electric power did not come though until 1939 in many remote places. One old neighboring farmer, in the neighborhood that I grew up in, told me that he did not have it until 1939. He got it before a few of the neighboring houses because he was a farm, and the farms were high on the priority list. I never had one myself, but have seen a bunch of them though the years. Some of the models stood up about 4 foot tall or better. Same single cylinder design. Dandy Dave!

I have one that was originaly used as a back up generator in a telephone central office. It has a Western Electric name plate. 32V, one cylinder engine governed to about 500 rpm. It was hooked to a bank of large glass case lead batteries. In case of power failure the office would revert to battery and the motor gen would charge the batteries. It was started by running the gen as a motor until the engine caught.

Mine was being used at one time on a farm to power a water pump. It was in bad shape but I restored it to very nice condition. I ran it a few times and put it away. If someone wanted it I'd sell it................Bob