Best Dinners, Drive-In's and Dives

Guest DagoRed

Guest DagoRed

The car and good 'Triple-D' food go together. How about sharing your favorites?

Here is one of mine and I'm told its even on Facebook. Since 1932, Miner-Dunn has been serving great food in NW Indiana. The location I frequented with my 390 '63 Galaxie 500 XL in the mid to late 60's was on Indianapolis Blvd. in Highland Indiana. They have the BEST onion rings I have ever tasted. Order the Salad Burger Deluxe with onion rings plus a side order of onion rings (!) Each 'deluxe' came with a little paper cup of orange sherbert - Mmmmm. After grazing at M-D and hanging with your buddies, hop in the car, go one quarter mile north on Indianapolis Blvd. and check out Johnson's Blue Top Drive-In. All the 'Region's' hot cars staged there. Even a Police Interceptor 390 Ford was a 'grocery getter' compared to all the pavement-rippers parked at the Blue Top.

Not exactly a diner, but Oinks Ice Cream and Fudge in New Buffalo, Mi.

It is a tiny little place loaded with ceramic/plastic/rubber pigs of all kinds. The ice cream is great and the whole place has a very retro feel. If you are lucky the owner will have the garage door open. His 1953 Ford sedan delivery (restored to stock!), 1916 Hudson, and Delorean have all been on display in there. We try to stop there anytime we are in Michigan.

Guest DeSoto Frank

If you're in Northern PA:

Scranton:

Moosic Diner (Rtes US 11 & PA 502)

Terry's Diner US 11 in Moosic ( 2 miles north of Moosic Diner)

The Glider Diner (Providence Rd ,Scranton - across from Scranton HS / Memorial Stadium)

"The Six East" - US Rte 6, between Scranton & Carbondale, next to the Circle Drive-In

The Blue Bird II - US 6 & 11, Factoryville

( The above are all genuine stainless-steel diners, mostly Mountain-View)

The Wellsboro Diner, Wellsboro, PA ( a 1930's "Lunch-wagon" style )

And in Western NJ - "Hot Dog Johny's" - Rte. 46, Buttzville (near Belvedere).

Bon appetite !

Diner - Parchies, 1120 Princess Street, Wilmington NC

Barbecue, Burgers, Chicken and much more...

Drive-In - What-A-Burger, South Madison Street, Whiteville NC

Burgers and wonderful Breaded French Fries that are great even if not good for you.

They are both gone now, but locally we had Mandt's Drive-In with the best root beer ever, served in large mugs kept so cold that the root beer froze along the inside of the mug. And homemade hotdog chili that went perfect with mustard, slaw and onions on a good hot dog in a steamed bun. Cooked to order french fries so that they were always hot and salty. YUM, YUM!!

The other was the Shoney's #2 AKA Shoney's Hide-away. So nicknamed because it was one street back from the main road through South Charleston. All of the other Shoney's were right on a main road. Shoney's was invented in Charleston, W. Va. by Alex Schoenbaum. Alex Schoenbaum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was the place to be for my two older brothers that went to high school right down the street from it. It was still popular when I went to the same high school ten years after my oldest brother did in 1959.

Now we have a new Sonic. :cool:

In my neck of the woods:

Lowery's Restaurant in Tappahannock, Va. Great specials daily! (I enjoy the stuffed shrimp with crap meat(3 of them)).

After eating slip back to the back room to let your kids pick a prize out of the "wishing well", or you can check out the '19 Caddy and early Plymouth that the original Mr. Lowery owned at the time, complete with AACA badges.

Also, see if you can get "J-Boy" to sing for you! A mynah bird, purchased when he was just an egg, really! J-Boy comes from a line of 3 mynahs that the Lowery family has owned. He'll immediately whistle to the girls, but I like to get him to sing Dixie, he's very good at it up through 12 notes! :eek:

A real Southerner!:D

Wayne

I thought about mentioning Superdawg. My Grandmother used to live a block away from it. With the giant male and female hot dogs with blinking eyes, it is the ultimate in 1950's drive in decor. However, the food is ok, but not as impressive as the building.

Unfortunately the places I can think of with great food aren't as impressive to look at. I'm hoping this post will get me a list of places to check out this summer.