Studebaker 1913?

Juha Paavo Kaita

I believe it is a Buick, maybe McLaughlin. Studebaker did not have an emblem on the top tank of the radiator in 1913.

The radiator, hood, cowl, toolbox, and headlights are 1913 Buick. The sidelights appear to be 1914. It is interesting in that it has 1913 and 1914 Buick features. I'm not sure how the export models differed from the US version.

Great photo,

Chris

Guest stude8

I found this photo in my library, the car is a 1913 Studebaker restored some years ago. I am not sure the fender styles are original but you can compare other features. Stude8

post-31139-143138155724_thumb.jpg

Guest Gary Hearn
Actually, that maroon car is a 1906 Studebaker.

Just thinking out loud, but were they any 1906 Studebakers (other than electrics)? Were they selling cars under their own name then or were they selling Garfords and EMF's under their name? I don't have access to my books to look it up.

In 1906 Studebaker was building gas and electric cars. The gas cars had the chassis supplied by Garford (hence the Studebaker-Garford name). I believe Studebaker built electrics through 1911 or 1912. They were not involved with the EMF boys until 1908.

There is ALOT more to the story, which I or someone else can add.

Chris

Chris--the 13 and 14 cowls look a bit different to me--the 14 looks a bit steeper, like Juha's photo. What do you think? I think it looks 14 Buick, but with earlier headlights. McLaughlins went a different direction with their lights, so I don't think it's that, and most McLaughlin exports went to the British Empire countries.

I agree Stude8's photo is definately '06--a Google Image search for 1906 Studebaker actaully finds the same photo.

Ian

Thank you for the date correction on the Studebaker image I posted, I always felt it looked earlier than 1913.

It was captured off the internet a long time ago and stuffed into my files with that description. I think it might even be a Henry Austin Clark car from the 1950's era that was a postcard his museum produced? Stude8

Hi!

Thank you very much again for good and professional help in identifying this nice early automobile. I have corrected information to the archive which owns the original photo. Could it be so that electric lights were optinal or the buyer could choose which lighting equipment he would prefer. It may be so that carbide lights were conseded more reliable at the time than more model electric light. It may have been difficult to find light bulbs etc.

Juha

Turku, Finland