Gas Gauge Question

Jeff Perkins / Mn

I would like to remove the gauge from the holder, which fits on the top of my tank. The thread is fine. I have soaked the whole unit in various solutions for about 6 months now. Still no go. Should I gingerly apply a little heat? There are more pictures in the What is it? forum. Thank You!!

post-30925-143138154331_thumb.jpg

post-30925-143138154333_thumb.jpg

It was probably a pressed fit when new and corrosion has locked it in place. You might try freezing the whole thing and warming only the outer ring...

Better yet, try adding a little water between the outer ring and the base before freezing. The expansion of the ice may help free it...

Mark and Larry, Thanks for your response. Is my tank possibly an early Buick?

Mark - the cap is threaded on, very fine thread.

Larry - I will PM to you in the event I find a method to separate the two pieces. I will take mine to the "Lamp King" this weekend . He is my go to guy for anything I cannot figure out.

Charles,

Thanks for the response, but this gage does not have any electrical connections. This gage has another piece missing and that is a rod that goes from the left side of the gage shown in the first picture to a float. That rod is connected at the joint to two gears that turn the gage at the top as the float moves up and down. My gage came off a 1917 Buick and also had the gears corroded from age. As to Mark's suggestion about freezing it I am going to try it, but I am almost to the point of carefully cutting the ring off to fix the rest of the gage... but not yet.

Guest cben09

Larry,,,If you get to that point,,,,try to shield the gears from shock,,secure the unit as best you can,,,and take SHARP chizel and put small lines,,say,,,about ,020 deep onto the cover,,thereby lengthing the circumfrence a bit,,,it wont take much to get clearence,,,, it WILL spoil the appearence of the cap,,,but try as best as you can to make the lines even and maybee it wont look so bad,,,,clue #2,,,if the lines are shallow enough,,you may be able to belt sand the dammage off,,and save it,,,,worst case,,,turn a new ring,,,a bit heavier,,in scrap brass so it wont rust again,,,Work your way around the cap,,making the lines like the old???lines on the cover,,,maybee it don't have gripper lines,,,A straight knerl is what I am trying to describe,,This same technique is used on rusted nuts,,,on nuts,,I put a ,040 groves,,,one on each flat,,,,provided you can reach all 6 sides,,,sometimes 3 out of 6 will do the trick,,,,Hope this makes sense,,,my feet are cold,,,hands are too,,,temp at 7am was +1 but its sunny and no wind,,,Putt'n on warm from under the stove ,,, boots,, :-=]] If I have missed anything,,"ring again",,,,Cheers Ben in Maine,,,SOUTHERN Maine

try spaying hydogen peroxide solution into the treaded area and let it set for a couple of hours then try unscewing it. If that doesn't work try it again and let it set a little longer. I have used this to get nuts and bolts to beak free.

I am assuming that you have tried PB Blaster on it. I have always had good luck with that particular solvent. Alternating heat and cold treatments usually help free things up.

I would then take a chain vice grip and lock onto the outer ring just tight enough so that it does not slip. Another trick would be to try to slightly tighten the ring first instead of loosening it. Sometimes, a slight turn in that direction will help free up something that otherwise will not budge. After slightly tightening it, then try loosening it. Good luck with it.

Guest Backyardmechanic

this has work on the Dodge Brothers gages just like the one in the picture: install the gage back on the tank with mounting screws ,with a 2 inch whole saw saw/drill a hole in the middle of a 2 foot 2X4 with this tool one should be able to remove the gas gage cap with ease.

Sounds odd but it works,

Vern