1946 Dodge Pick Up Windshield Gasket

Guest lw46wc20

Use a piece of cotton cord about 3/16" thick and wrap it around the slot in the windshield gasket. You can then set the lower part of the gasket slot on the lower frame. When you pull the cord from the inside of the car, it will pull the lip of the rubber past the windshield frame and seat it all around. It helps to have two people to do it and you might have to try it a couple of times until you get the right touch. Another helpful item that you can find at a parts store is a 6" to 8" suction cup that can be attached to the windshield to make handling it a little less awkward.

Guest lw46wc20

Thank you both for replying. This is a swing out winshield were a rubber seal attaches to windshield frame and seals to the body when closed. I will try Larry's suggestion of using hot water. I have been using a hair dryer and soapy water, but can't seem to get both lips of the seal to lock into the slot of the window frame, especially around the corners. Tried a thin string and various putty knives and screw drivers. I will keep trying.

Thanks for your help

Guest lw46wc20

Bob,

Good idea, I will pick a can up. For the data base, I found that the channel slot fro the rubber around the corners still had some surface rust and not as clean as they should have been. This channel at the corners seemed to be bent tighter than the straight areas. I lightly tapped on the frame to bend and open the channel a tad. Using vaseline and a window spline roller tool, I have managed to get about 25% of the gasket installed thus far.

Thank you for your help.

Guest Robin Coleman

Forgive me for saying this, but using vaseline or any other petroleum based product on any rubber product is not good. The rubber will degrade more rapidly if you do so.

Guest kaycee

:) I do'nt know if this would work, but how about trying brake fluid or Armorall on the rubber gasket? Just be Ultra Careful if you try brake fluid around a painted windshield frame or any painted surface.

:) kaycee