1942 Model 90

Guest BJM

Has the fellow who bought 2 series 90's (1942) out of California and took them to Texas checked in lately? I can do a search but was wondering if he is still active or restoring these cars.

• 1 month later...
Guest blanckr

I am not the person from Texas, but I do have a recently purchased Model 90 4-door sedan Limited that I am in the process of restoring. This one was in storage for 45 years before I bought it. It ran when it was put away, but will need some work. I will be searching for some things like trim pieces, a fender skirt, and several other parts which I expect are difficult to find. Any other 1942 Buick Limited folks out there?

Bob Blanck

You can use 1942-49 Special and 1942 Century skirts on the car. but the 1946-49 Special skirts have the wrong moldings, so then you would have to find the moldings. My experience has been that 1942 moldings are not too difficult to find as they made more spare parts than cars that could use them. The rear fender stone pads are the same for 1946-49 Specials equipped withi skirts also, but the moldings are different. That's a nice, rare, Full Classic that you have there. I'd like to have one myself; although I'm more tuned to the 1941 Series 90.

Guest blanckr

Thanks for the good advice on the skirts and moldings. One problem for me may be the lower rocker panel molding. The piece is 91" long for this car, and is missing. I have found shorter pieces from smaller cars, so I may have to weld some together to get a long section. Does anyone know if this is possible? Also, do you or anyone know about the interchangability of the trunk emblem? The "Buick Eight" seems to be a different size for later models.

My car is a low mileage car, but still will need a lot of work. Are these good driving cars? I have never driven one!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest outlaw car man

Bob,

I'm somewhere in the final stretch of doing a 1933 Series 90. One owner, 28,000 mile car. Like yours it was put away about 20 years ago after the start of a full restoration that went south.

Anyway, don't know if this fellow can help, he has supplied some trim for my 90: Northfield Forming, Antique Automobile Trim, 330 854 6003 , Ohio. He may just do early stuff but might be a good networking source.

Good luck with it- We should start our own 90 forum or something in the Pre-War Division.

Sandy Jones

1948 Buick 56S

1933 Buick Series 90,

***GASP!!*** A one-owner, 28,000-mile, 1933 90-series...???? (turns green with envy). How can I get put into your will??!!!

Please send me a few photos. I want to drool on them. pphillips922@earthlink.net

Whenever you want to write up and photograph that car, I will make room in the Buick Bugle for it. There is no finer Buick that could go into those pages than a 1933 90-series.

Wow!

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

• 2 years later...

Bringing this back up. The seller was located in California. He had purchased 2 Model 90 1942 Buicks one an 8 passenger and one a 6 passenger.

These have to be very rare.

I recall that they were purchased and the buyer checked in on this forum with a lot of enthusiasm but has not been on for years now. I thought both 1942's went to TEXAS but I may be mistaken.

Guest blanckr

I am not the Texas guy, but I still have my unrestored 1942 Model 90 6 passenger with 38,000 miles on it. My car came from Connecticut and I am in Massachusetts. It had been in storage since the early 1960's and I bought it about 2 years ago. It is a wonderful car. I have not had it running yet, and hope to do so this year. I am always interested in hearing about other's who may have one.

blanckr,

There are a few big series cars around New England (but I think most are earlier than '42. I suspect the owners may not frequent the forum very often. Are you a BCA member? I hope you will consider joining, if not. I also suggest you get involved with the local chapter, either Minuteman (eastern), of Central New England (Springfield to Deerfield area) or even Upstate NY (western and Albany)

John

As I recall, having owned two 1941 Limiteds over 35 years ago, the rocker molding is the same or almost the same for both 1941 and 1942. A late friend of mine who passed away in 1989 and lived in Buena Park, CA had a 1941 and 1942 Limited when he passed, as well as a 1940 Model 81. I have no idea what his daughter may have done with those cars.

Hey Pete,

Sandy's only a day away from you, and having seen his (2) '33's, the trip would be well worth your time.....

Sandy,

Looks like the "Big" car subforum idea is gathering steam.

I'm going to take the "baby" to the ABBY car show, in Canon City on Saturday 5/19/12, and on to Florence for their show on Sunday 5/20/12.

Canon expects 400+ cars, and I've seen the Florence show w/ 200+ cars.

Mike in Colorado

Edited by FLYER15015
spelling (see edit history)