a steam car, first to go 100mph?

rhb1999

Guest DeSoto Frank

Hmmm - that's the first I've heard of Rigolly and the Gordon-Brillie.

As for a steam car being first to reach 100 mph, I'd bet the reference is to the Stanley Steamer streamliner that raced and tragically wrecked at Ormond Beach, Florida in 1906. ( The Stanley "Rocket" ? )

Supposedly the Stanley reached 106 mph before hitting a slight rise, becoming air-borne, then cartwheeling, killing the driver. Unfortunately, I don't think the speed was officially recognized.

Hi All,,,lotsa mistakes,,,but understandable as its over 100 years,,,Look closely,,the Gobrun [note spelling] was a huge engine w/ 2 pistons in each cylender,,and a very old account of it said it was a hi compresson,,ALCOHOL engine,,,I cant recall the where the reference was ,Someone has restored one of these,,,I do not nnow if it has that funny engine,,,if anyone knows,,start a thread on odd engines or,,??,The Stanley set several records at Daytona 1906,,including the Dewer Trophy,,,WHICH incedentally was a more challanging feat than the LSR,,,They set a record for std touring cars too,,,LSR record,,1mi / 28/2/5 sec/,,,1907,,crash,,Fred Mariott lived,,and was seen officiating another race about 100 days later,,,,and I visited him at his Galen Street shop,,back when I was in high school,,,and my daily driver was a 1929 Packard 633 sedan at that time,1952 ,Fred always patiently answerd my questions,,,and I knew he had been asked the same questions 1000 times,,I could tell when I asked a new question,,,it was like lightnin' and noone seems to remember Jim Orr,,,,,,Re record cars,,,I have a felin that the K-5 NAPIER,,,could have broken 100mph,,if it had the right gearing,,,,but that was not the order of business,,,K-5 still exists somewhere,,4 cyl,bore 6,5 Stroke 6,,,and 5 valves per cylender,,,3 speed,,shaft drive,,coil ign,,Ya turn it over w/a 3' bar,,Oh yes,,Glen Curtiss set a motorcycle record on the 8 cyl,,,250 cid 1 speed bike,No clutch,just a compression release,,,,137mph ,,in 1907,,Cheers,,,Ben

THe cylenders were vertical,,,lower pistons and rods as usual,,,,BUT,,,There were rods,,round rods,[not like con rods]from the crank that went WAY up to the top of a very tall engine,,,w/a fitment to a top piston in the other [top]end of the same cylender,so it was an opposed piston engine,,,Its shewn in many early auto books,,[not Dykes],,There were a few diezel engines made this way also[not by Gobrun]] Paul Moser was chasing one of these in South America 30 years ago,,The alcohol aspect of this MAY have been in DUGALD CLERK 's book,,about 1905,,,Clerk also spoke of the problems of using aceytelene as a fuel,,,I guess,,Cheers Ben

Oh my,,,another GP car,,for 1906 that would still be the Metric ton class,,,,Please do post the pics,,,I'LL sit right here and wait,,,Many thanks in advance,,,I wonder if thats the car Paul was chasing,,Cheers Ben

Ok, I think you'll like them, Christie, Mercedes, FIAT, along with some Porthos, Lorraine-Dietrich, Darracg, plus my favorite the Renault with plowshare front fenders. James Melton found one here in town back in the 1940's, it was in the Harrah collection last I knew. Welcome to the AACA Forum, always enjoy your posts. Bob

Oh my,,,another GP car,,for 1906 that would still be the Metric ton class,,,,Please do post the pics,,,I'LL sit right here and wait,,,Many thanks in advance,,,I wonder if thats the car Paul was chasing,,Cheers Ben