Ode to my '66 GTO 389 Tri Power

Guest Robin Coleman

Guest Robin Coleman

Guys... Here is an ode to my first car, a '66 389 Tri Power 4 speed. Some of it is plagarized from a very old GTO ad in a Hot Rod magazine. I hope you like it;

It is night out, and nothing is heard but the croaking of frogs.

Down by the crossroads, a powerful engine rumbles to life.

The frogs go silent.

Slowly, the throaty exhaust note makes its way to the main road.

Suddenly an incredible roar begins as air is sucked in by the cubic acre.

The tires protest their punishment by screaming.

The crescendo rises to a fevered pitch three more times with each gear change, and then begins to fade in the distance,

Untill there is again, silence in the still of the night.

The frogs resume their croaking.

I loved that beast...My bad for selling it in '72.

Edited by Robin Coleman
wrong typing (see edit history)

Reminds me of one of the best advertisements ever written for an auto - showed an open garage door and said "there's a tiger on the prowel tonight." I might take my 67 GTO out for a while tonight and go cruising for a while.

All rise now for the natl anthem - "little GTO..."

Guest Robin Coleman

Terry...That ad is the one I was referring to. I understand the mnanifold alone is worth three times what I sold the car for now.

I had the 67 out. Gassed up and next to me there was a couple of kids in a tuner car. One came over and asked if it was a real GTO. We talked a while, then he asked if I'd show them some smoke. I said, naw, I've outgrown that stuff, but it's comforting to know I could probably blow their doors off. We shook hands, they lingered to wash the windshield, and I started the car and moved on out to the access road - and nailed it! "...Suddenly an incredible roar begins as air is sucked in by the cubic acre. The tires protest their punishment by screaming. The crescendo rises to a fevered pitch three more times with each gear change, and then begins to fade in the distance, Untill there is again, silence in the still of the night."

And as I looked into the rear view mirror, those guys were jumping up and down-thumbs up in the air in approval with wide-open grins on their faces. - and this old guy went home with the smell of burning rubber on him! The memories live on.

Terry

The problem with a RA400/4 speed is that it it hard to resist. Must admit I do not understand the current trend for long burnouts without going anywhere. Seems like with a line-lock and a cruise control you could step out and watch.

Guest Engine-Ear

Great ode!

Memories like that are awesome. I hope to inject some of that into my nieces and nephews and hopefully at least one of them will want to drive one of Uncle Matt's Ponchos!