Old Armature Tester (how does it work)

Ron Green

Recently bought this however I don't have a clue as to how it works. Even the old timers at the sale said it worked however they forget how. Guessing early 60's vintage? It is build by Mac Tools but can't find any info from them either.

Once plugged in, and with the switch in the off position, if you touch the two leads together the lamp lights. The one lead is 120-volt while the other lead works via the neutral through the lamp. Leads appear to work independent of the on / off switch. I am guessing that this is to test the windings and if the lamp lights they are good?

If you turn the switch to the on position the coil (exposed V part) is energized and makes a buzzing sound. Seems like you would put the armature in this and spin it? But what does it do to identify a good or bad armature?

Thanks for any insight on this.

post-30758-143138140202_thumb.jpg

Guest Robin Coleman

Ron...This tool is called a growler. The test leads are for checking the commutator. To use them, you do two things. First check each segment of the commutator for a short to the armature body by touching one of the leads to a segment at a time while the other lead is touched to the armature body. If the lamp lights you have a shorted segment. Next touch a segment with one lead and another 180 degrees opposite. This test determines if you have an open winding. The growler part is used with a hacksaw blade. Turn the coil on, place the armature on it and use the blade by holding it over the armature segments, one at a time. I believe the blade should be attracted to any given segment. If not, then you have a defective armature.

Robin: Thanks for the info and quick reply! My wife asked me how I would ever find out how it worked (along with wondering why I bought it :confused:). I told her someone on the AACA form would know for sure. It is truly amazing the knowledge that various people have on just about any topic!

My friend who is in his 80's did tell me you need to use a hacksaw blade when turning it however he wasn't sure if it attracted to it, or just the opposite. It sounds like I need to play around with it. Probably never use it but it makes for a nice conversation piece. :)

The Armature Growler article in the December 1941 issue of Popular Science provides a good explanation.

The two metal laminated poles that the armature rests in produce magnetic fields. The armature resting on the poles conducts or conveys these fields. If the armature is shorted, it will act like a magnet and the thin metal such as a hacksaw blade will be attracted to the shorted area. If the armature has no shorts, then no current will flow and therefore the thin metal blade will not be attracted to the armature.

Edited by Friartuck
typo (see edit history)

Actually knowing the name of this contraption has helped me to find operating instructions. I also found another brand (Silver Beauty) however there seems to be one manufacture for this type / vintage growler and different tool companies used it.

http://www.4king.com/01_english/growler.htm

http://www.tpub.com/content/construction/14273/css/14273_46.htm

http://www.associatedequip.com/pdf/manuals/MT326C-220.pdf

post-30758-143138140253_thumb.jpg

Ron,

My growler is a Lanagon brand, made in Philadelphia. I figure 1940's or so. Paid $5. for it at a yard sale and it looks like new. The only thing that ever growled pluging it in for the first time was me picking myself off the floor. Never trust a old original electrical cord! It's been hanging on the wall ever since for the last 25 years.

Rick, While we are in the confessional:

Before I removed the cover to see how it was wired (or to find out is was 120 volts at the leads), I assumed that the light was a continuity tester..............wrong! :o Fluffing my feathers with my new bootie while showing off to the wife on how it worked as a continuity tester, I put the 2 leads across my workbench metal receptacle raceway. :eek: The leads burnt a hole in it plus tripped the breaker, however I did manage to get her out of the shop rather quickly. :rolleyes:

Guest Robin Coleman

Friartuck...Thanks for correcting my error regarding how the hacksaw blade should react...It has been close to 40 years since I last used a growler. In those times I frequently used a lathe to turn down a commutator and then a special tool to undercut the mica insulators between the segments. Ron...This growler can be used on any universal motor (anything with brushes) including generators, starters, drill motors, etc.

Guest Robin Coleman

And BTW Ron...Do NOT put your hand on the commutator while the coil is being used...The induced current will blow your zipper off. Don't ask me how I know this!!!

And BTW Ron...Do NOT put your hand on the commutator while the coil is being used...The induced current will blow your zipper off. Don't ask me how I know this!!!

Interesting, while reading through some comments on its operation someone did make a statement "they really need to make this much clearer in the instructions". :eek::eek::eek: Like my brother said, "they sure couldn't make these kind of tools in today's world".

Thanks all for the help.