Tail pipe positions on trucks

Steve Braverman

This may seem like a silly question, but why do almost all pickups have the tailpipe exiting out the side while everything else has the tailpipe straight out the back? There are some exceptions, like I noticed some newer small trucks with the pipes out the back, and my old Suburban had them out the side.

I'm only asking because the new Dodge ram has them out the back on some of the higher end trucks and it looks cool. I've seen aftermarket exhausts on trucks with dual pipes under the bumper also, but never factory.

or where you are loading

This is more likely the main reason. Trucks are still built mainly to sell to fleet buyers, whose employees will be loading or working with them while they are still running quite frequently. Imagine if you were hooking up a car on a tow truck in a cloud of your own exhaust.

I think this is why most truck's exhaust outlet on the driver's side as well, away from where people will most likely be.

I think this is why most truck's exhaust outlet on the driver's side as well, away from where people will most likely be.

Most of the trucks I see have the tailpipe on the passenger's side. In fact, I notice that school buses have the pipe modified to run across the back so that they exit on the driver's side.

Guest DeSoto Frank

If I remember correctly, most 1947-'54 Chevy Advance Design pick-ups had a tail pipe all the way out to the rear of the box (bumpers were optional). The pipe had a down-turn, I believe.

Most larger trucks (1-ton and up) have the muffler more or less under the back edge of the cab, with a simple down-spout at the outlet end.