Greater NY Auto Dealers Celebrate Centenary in 2010 Memorabilia/info needed

Guest historyexhibition

Guest historyexhibition

The Greater New York Automobile Dealers Association is celebrating its 100 year anniversary next year and we are looking for information and memorabilia relating to retailing, manufacturing, advertising and promotion in New York since 1910. As part of the celebrations the Association is working with the Museum of the City of New York to produce an exhibit called Cars, Culture and the City. We'd love to hear from anyone with any New York dealership and other auto related memorabilia including signage, brochures, adverts, old photos or letter or invoices to and from customers in the early years that reveal what life for automobile enthusiasts was like in the early years. Anything directly relating the Association would be especially interesting to see. Any thoughts or information would be greatly appreciated. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

That has the makings of a Great Event. I would post this request on the Classic Car Club of Ameerica Forum as well. I don't know were "Automobile Row" was in Manhattan but my Dad told me he amassed quite a collection of sales literature from the late 1920's to 1930's. He bought his first new car, a 1935 Ford and a new 1937 Harley-Davidson in NYC. Will you be looking for any pre 1910 NYC related automotive information? Good luck with the project,Bob

Greetings,

I heard about your exhibit from Kim Bravo, Curator of the Free Library's Automotive Collection. I would suggest considering the 1910 Atlanta Journal-New York Herald Good Roads Tour and other such tours, as numerous manufacturers fielded their motorcars in these endurance runs.

Running from NYC to Atlanta, this and other tours (1909, 1911) did much to rejoin North & South, and prove to the public that cars were not mere playthings of the wealthy.

I have amassed a great deal of imagery on these tours, which I would be happy to share if the need arises. Much of the research I did on these tours was performed at the NY Public Liibrary, and, as an ex-New Yorker, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Sounds like great fun, and a memorable exhibit!

Regards,

Tom Gibson

PS, 1937hd45, Automobile Row would have been around Broadway & 47th Street and the surrounding environs. How cool to have your Dad's ephemera, BTW.

Thanks Tom! Next time I'm in the City I'll check out Broadway & 47th. I only wish Dad had keep his sales literature collection, it was long gone before WWII. I do have photos of his '35 Ford and the '37 Harley. I spent some time on Google trying to find that Thomas Edison film of the 1898-99 car tour in NYC. It was on this Forum as well, really neat to see 40-50 pre 1900 vehicles on tour, gas, steam, & electric.

I have a guest pass from Cadillac for the 1930 New York Auto Show, I also have one from Chevrolet for 1960. I worked at the Jacob Javits Convention Center for 10 years and loved putting in the Auto Show. (too many hours I am to old to do it now) There was a documentary done by Fred Kanter several years ago that I was interviewed on. Send me a PM if you are interested