Temperature gauge capillary tube - help!!

Erik

My temperature gauge capillary tube has broken in half :mad:

My questions are:

Does anybody know if this tube is gas filled and if so which gas?

I expect to get somebody to solder the pipe together and refill it.

Is this possible for a skilled instrument maker?

Does anybody have one of these for a 320 engine for sale?

What else can I do?

Regards

Erik

Erik, you can easily repair that yourself. What you need to do is find a new or good used guage with the same type of bulb and fitting as your old one. Place the bulb end in a container (I used a milk carton) and freeze it solid in your freezer. Your can then cut that bulb off at the correct length to match your old line and solder it back together using a short joint to push each end into. I drilled out another copper tube to the correct od of the guage tubing. Make sure it is a tight fit and don't use too much solder as you don't want to solder the hole in the tube shut. I have done a couple this way and it works. Check in in some boiling water to make sure. Leon

Eric, I should have proof read my post before sending. I should have said to freeze the bulb in a carton of water and it will stay frozen while you work on it. thaw it out however you like after you are done. Freezing it, the colder the better, will keep the gas in the bulb. If you have some good farm tractor dealers around they often have temp guages that use the gas bulb type that are the same as those used in our old cars. Leon

Guest simonmeridew

Brian

Approx. what did it cost to rebuild the guage assembly?

I also remember someone in Essex Junction, Vermont who rebuilds them also, I've looked in the search in this forum and can't locate the posting where I read about it. Maybe someone can help me????

simonmeridew

Thanks everyone for your fast and very useful info.

I decided to order a gauge from Bob's as it was a great excuse (towards my wife) to get a lot of other small items I've been putting off and the shipping is more or less the same. :D

When the new gauge is installed I'll use the excellent descriptions to try and repair the old one as it would be nice to have an extra and worth the learning experience.;)

The repairshop Leif mentioned has been duly noted as it is propably the only shop in Scandinavia of its kind. No one in Denmark has been able to furnish info for a repair shop.

Once again thanks for your very precise and usefull info

Regards

Erik<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Guest soldier

Erik, I had John Wolf & Co., Inc. repair the temp. gauge for my 31 Buick series 50. The tube was broken off at the bulb in the block. I removed the bulb, and sent the gauge, tube and bulb to John Wolf & Co., 36420 Biltmore Pl. #1. Willoughby, OH 44094. Total cost $136.00, including shipping. That was 06/17/08. They did the job promptly, and well. Jerry Saunders

Guest soldier

Erik, It sounds like you may have your problem solved. I noticed, however, that I had forgoten to give you the tele. # of the John Wolf repair service. In case you are interested, it is 440/942-0083. Soldier.