1930 Oil Pan Removal

michaelod

I am having some difficulty removing the oil pan from my 30-68. Engine is in the car. I have removed 24 bolts (12 on each side) from the pan and do not see any remaining. Beat on the pan with a rubber hammer in an attempt to loosen it up with no luck. I don't see any remaining fasteners on it and am in a bit of a quandary as to how it comes off. Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Michael

I am not an expert on the Buick engine but are you sure it is not attached to the timing cover in the front? My Pierce was like that and I almost missed it. Once you are sure all the bolts are out you will probably have to tap something between the pan and the crankcase and pry VERY CAREFULLY. I used a putty knife. It may be glued together pretty firmly.

Michael,

I checked my shop and parts manuals and they proved inconclusive as to the exact bolt count. Based on the cut away photos 24 certainly appears to be in the ball park. Also I did see what appears to be a horizontal (parallel to ground) timing chain cover bolt into the oil pan, but again it is difficult to determine from the cut away photo. Unfortunately my 30-61 located up in NY at the moment and I cant verify on that either. So in summary I can only concur with Don in his recommendations.

Well I removed an access panel near the flywheel and found 2 more bolts at the rear of the oil pan. Removed those and thought I was going to be in business, but no luck. This thing still feels like it is attached with concrete. Cannot see any place in the front where it would be attached but perhaps I missed something up there.

Any one actually remove the pan from a 60 series before? Would the smaller engine have the same setup as the larger?

Thanks,

Michael O'Docharty

Michael,

I vaguely recall having the same problem with the 29 Standard that my son now has. If I remember correctly, there is a vertical sheet metal plate with an oil seal at the center rear of the pan that is fastened with two horizontal bolts at the bottom of the bell housing. You need a good light and lots of rags to clean up the area to see them.

Good luck,

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)

Right, I found that panel earlier. This was what I was referring to in my previous message, so I've got that one taken care of. Do you happen to remember if there is anything attached to the timing chain cover at the front? Doesn't appear to be but I just wanted to make sure before I result to more serious measures. At this point I am thinking that someone has coated both sides of the pan gasket with some serious adhesive, essentially gluing the pan to the crankcase.

Thanks,

Michael O'Docharty

Got it off !

At least it is loose anyway. Looks like I will have to remove the front sway bar (or whatever they called that in 1930) to get it out but that will be a piece of cake compared to removing the oil pan. As I suspected it was glued on with some super adhesive that fought me every inch of the way on both sides of the pan. Took my time and removed it carefully to avoid damaging the mating surfaces, although it took me all day to do it.

Time for a cold one...

Michael O'Docharty

Thanks to all those who responded with assistance. I removed the oil pan in preparation to start this car which I know has not been started in some years. Based on some of the horror stories I've heard I had anticipated discovery of a substantial amount of sludge in the bottom, but much to my delight there was almost nothing there at all. No bits of metal or other foreign objescts either. Bottom of the engine appeared very clean. Looks as if the previous owner(s) had actually changed the oil on a fairly regular basis. Hopefully when I get it running it will be as good as what I am seeing thus far.

Regards,

Michael O'Docharty