Packard heater

Randy S

Randy, the heater for that car is available, Packard bought accessory heaters with the Packard radiator shape stamped into the two doors that open to let the heat out. Many owners back then bought other accessory heaters from the auto parts store, Arvin was a popular manufacturer, there were some made/sold by "Tropic breeze". Most guys with a Packard like that want the Packard heater. I probably saw 2 or 3 of what you need at Hershey last month!

Guest Twunk Rack

Lack of heat in many cars prior to the 1950's is a sign of how our culture has changed.

In those days, you were supposed to "tough it out". I happened to run across a guy who was a friend of the high ranking army officer who bought my car new. I asked him specifically about that issue (the issue being, why would a guy pay the present equiv. of about $100,000. to) buy a new car, and not kick in a few extra bucks for a heater ?

"WEAR A COAT" was his sneering reply !

Of COURSE there were cabin heaters for cars ! In the case of the more expensive cars, by World War I era, you could have a choice of several different types of cabin heaters, including some very effective forced air heaters, that would quickly warm up BOTH front and rear compartments, factory installed.

There were several makes of gasoline-fired heaters - some are STILL being made for aviation, are VERY effective even the bitter cold of high altitude flight. And there were the "manifold heater" types, in which a "muff" fitted over the exhaust pipe, with powerful fans to blow the fresh air coming in, thru-out the cabin, from vents in the floors of both front and rear compartments. The problem with these is, as the cars aged, and the exhaust systems started to leak, you could have a real odor problem, and, if it got bad enough, a danger of carbon monoxide poisioning

And, of course, the hot-water heaters that were typically mounted on the firewall. That's the easiest way for you - and as noted by another poster, these can be found at swap meets. I have one. But beware.... these wont do your rear compartment folks much good !

It wasn't so much a matter of toughing it out. They dressed better in those days and did not expect their houses or cars to be heated the way we do today.

Look at ads or magazines from the 30s and earlier. You will see gentlemen in heavy 3 piece tweed suits, ladies in long dresses and stockings, and that is in modern steam heated houses and flats. Have you seen sophisticated movies where they take off their suit jackets and immediately put on a smoking jacket or robe? And those wing back chairs were made to keep off drafts and keep the sitter cozy in front of a fireplace.

When traveling by car or train one expected to dress the same as if one was going to walk. The above mentioned warm suits or dresses plus sensible shoes, rubbers, woollen overcoats, scarves gloves and of course hats.Before 1930 the typical car was an open touring in which a heater would have been futile.

Closed cars became the norm by the mid 30s and after that, heaters were the rage. I have a box of old MoToR magazines from the 30s and in 1937 and 38 there were heater ads on nearly every page.

Even so, cars had a rope on the back of the front seat to hold a lap robe until the mid 50s. This was such a popular accessory, if you dressed warm and had a lap robe you didn't need a heater or possibly the early heaters needed a little help.

So, a lot of people were used to cold cars and looked on any kind of heater as a luxury. I'm sure a lot of cars were sold without heaters well into the 50s especially in warmer climates.

Similarly here in the north few cars had air conditioning even expensive cars, until they became standard equipment in the late 80s or 90s. It seems hard to believe today but if you didn't have it or weren't used to it, it didn't seem necessary.

There is another factor. It was widely believed that a heated car was unhealthy. To step out of the house into the cold, then ride in a hot car, then out of the car into the cold again was seen as a sure way to catch cold, the flu or la grippe which was no laughing matter in those days before antibiotics and modern medicines.

• 9 years later...

I have found I inherited from my beloved Dad, who restored antique autos for pure pleasure (he was a pilot) left an 1934 Packard heater. He passed in 2003. As an artist, I am enchanted by the incredible design of the “housing” of the heater. My Dad was involved in antique cars his entire life. I still have a few parts and pieces.(including auto manuals & hood ornaments.)   I plan to list on EBay. If you are interested before I list, please email me.