Driver Participation Parking at Hershey

Bill Clark

I just read a column in a club's newsletter written by a person that joined a bus trip for their first time at Hershey. Heres what they said at one point.

It was hard to determine how the cars were arranged as there were cars of the 40’s – 80‘s all somewhat mixed together.

They were probably in the DPC section and thought they had found a WalMart parking lot. I've seen what marshals go through trying to get cars in the right class, but consideration should be given to sorting the DPC cars just a bit. I was at a show once where the DPC cars were arranged by year. According to the program, there were five rows of DPC cars. If they could be split into something like before 1920, 1920 to 1942, 1946 to 1970 and 70 and newer cars it would make for a more coherent display.

Bill

Bill, I have nothing to do with the Hershey show field, but I know where the DPC cars were parked, since I was there last year.

In my opinion, they did the best they could with the area set aside for them. The DPC class gets bigger each year at "every" AACA Meet. It's that popular. And, that's what we want, a class that allows not so perfect cars to participate with our club.

Back to the show field, since the DPC cars were coming in so fast, they really did not have time to segregate them any. Maybe in the future they might be able to go from 1985, say, down to 1960, then the balance back to earliest. Personally, though, this is about all they would have time to do. That little building up form the driveway was actually splitting DPC last year, and I'm assuming it did the same this year.

Like I said, I had nothing to do with it, but I'm sure they did the best that they could under the circumstances.:)

Wayne

The ability to get cars parked according to any sort of order is contingent on the number of volunteers you have available to help make it happen.

We got onto the show field fairly late, and found out that we had more or less our choice of where to park, once we were shown where our class was located. My wife was driving, and so I got out and walked up the row to find a space, and then waved her over. It worked out fine, but was a little different experience from how closely monitored/guided we've been in the past, when getting to our parking spot in the class.

Again, I have the feeling that the number of people they have volunteering to help run the thing may not have been optimal--but it all worked out 100% fine from our experience.

With regard to the DPC cars, I also kinda like the mix of all different sorts--to me, it makes for a fun browsing experience--same for the HPOF cars.

There was a lot of space that was not used, I had the oldest car in DPC (or pretty close to it) and I was parked in the furthest corner next to the sewerage plant. Again I could have arrived earlier. There is a lot to do for those people in a very short time slot.