Rollin Motors

I'm looking for information about the Rollin Motors Company from Cleveland, Ohio. They built cars from 1924-26. Does anyone have any information about this company and are there any Rollins cars out there in collections?

Sherry,<BR>Here is the entry on the Rollin from the<BR>Beaulieu Encyclopedia of the Automobile:<P>ROLLIN (1923-25)<BR>Rollin Motor Car Co, Cleveland, OHIO<P>This car was made by, and named for, Rollin White (1872-1962) who had been chief engineer of the White company. After leaving<BR>White he formed the Cleveland Tractor Company in 1916 to make the Cletrac tractor, but was tempted by the car business again in the 1920's. He obtained financial support from Cleveland industrialist EE Allyne and hired as designed former Studebaker engineer<BR>Fred M Zeder. For this reason the car was originally to be called the Allyne-Zeder, but the more attractive sounding name Rollin was chosen. Zeder soon left the project to help design the new Chrysler, but the Rollin was well on its way by then.<BR>Announced in the autumn of 1923 as a 1924 model, it had a 41 bhp 2446cc 4 cylinder side-valve engine derived from that used in the tractor; some sources say that the first pilot models of the Rollin carried Cletrac badges. It had a 3-speed Muncie gearbox, and 4 wheel brakes were fitted, making Rollin something of a pioneer in this field as far as modestly priced cars went. Two models of tourer, a coupe-roadster and a sedan made up the range, and prices ran from $895 to $1275.<BR>1924 sales were 3662 cars and in 1925 only 2088 Rollins found customers.<BR>It seems that the cars compact size went against it among American buyers. People expected a 6 cylinder car in its price range.<BR>Production ended in November 1925 and the company was declared bankrupt the following month. White returned to the tractor business, from which he retired at the age of 72 in 1944.

• 9 years later...

I have a 1924 touring and a 1925? coupe. Both needing restoration.

There is a restored touring in Sweden.

Steve,

if your sedan is the one that sold on Ebay this past year, I may have some history.

The car dealer that had it for sale could not provide the correct serial # but I believe it

is a known car.

The true expert on these cars and their histories had compiled a list of all surviving cars

several years ago and I believe your sedan was on there. Contact me with serial number

and I will check.

Dennis

Guest Steve Jansen

Dennis, Thanks for the update. Yes you are right i did buy it off e-bay. The correct ser. # 7819. It is a 4dr. sedan. Do you have any more info? How is your parts supply? Mine is not for sale but what are they worth? Thanks, Steve

Guest Steve Jansen

Dennis, The only parts i need right now are the window cranks. As you know they are pot metal and all are broken. As rare as these cars are i would take just about any parts or part car to add to my stash for the future. Thanks, Steve

Window cranks were bought from outside suppliers and sometimes the same crank was used on different makes. Small manufacturers could save money by buying hardware that was originally made for another company. That way they did not have to pay for a new mold.

A careful comparison might reveal that the same hardware was used by a bigger manufacturer, a year or 2 previously.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Steve Jansen

Rusty, You are so right but who else bought from this supplier? These cranks are threaded with a 1/2" hole and it looks like the thread is either 22 or 24 tpi. The shaft is slotted and a set pin holds the crank in place. Steve

• 2 weeks later...

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> If you are looking for info on Rollin cars try the following

Issue 50 of Restored Cars page 35 I believe this car was sold to the York Motor Museum in Western Australia.

Issue 105 of Restored Cars page 10, 11 & 12

Back issues of restored cars can still purchased from Eddie Ford Publications

Issue 88 of Australian Classic Cars page 72 & 73

Volume LV, No 4 The Bulb Horn, The Veteran Motor car Club of America. Pages 15,16,17 & 18

Cheers

• 8 months later...

I own also a Rollin from 1924, Touring. My father bought it in 1962 in our country, The Netherlands. The car came in Europa throuh Switserland. The car is in verry good condition, the engine is just complete restored. I also have a original brochure. It was just a short message because it is late now.

Jean Bastiaans , The Netherlands

post-78834-14313865454_thumb.jpg

post-78834-14313865455_thumb.jpg

post-78834-143138654559_thumb.jpg

post-78834-143138654561_thumb.jpg

Rollin prijslijst 1924.pdf

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Steve Jansen
In December of 1924, the freighter “The Lakeland” sank in Lake Michigan with 68 new Rollins strapped to the deck. Divers have found the wreck and the cars still on the deck. One of the cars was brought up in 1979, but immediately started to rust once it was exposed to the air.

http://images.maritimehistoryofthegreatlakes.ca/59312/data

Graham, As time goes on the original stories that both you and myself have heard change. It turns out that these were mostly stories. Last spring I had the pleasure of working with Tamara Thomsen with the Wisconsin Historical Society. She had footage of a recent dive down to the Lakeland. It turns out that there were 11 Nashes & 6 Kissels on board along with 4 other unknown cars. After viewing all the photos and the video I was able to identify these 4 cars by the location of the battery box, the rear transverse spring, and the location of the x-members, Dish wheels, and 4 Wheel mech. brakes as being Rollins. All of these cars were one deck below the main deck (top deck was the passenger deck). It looked like all the sheet medal was there but laying next to the cars as the wood body frame work was rotted off and the body parts fell along side the autos. Total count were 21 autos and 1 bus. Don't know the ID of the bus but Kissel built many different things other than autos and it could be one of theirs. I think since all the body styles were accounted for on the other two makes one was missing for the Rollin which would make me think the car that was recovered in 1979 was indeed a Rollin. All of these autos were 1925 and it was thought they were either coming or going to a new car auto show. I have not been updated since last spring so I can't answer many of the questions that were unanswered back then. Thanks, Steve PS. If anyone is interested I have some photos of whats left of these cars but will need help trying to post them.

Edited by Steve Jansen
misspelling (see edit history)

• 9 months later...
Guest Steve Jansen

It has now been 5yrs since buying this Rollin and still looking for window cranks. Discription is noted above. Have some pieces of the old ones but not enough to make a casting. Some other manufacture must have also used this supplier.

It has now been 5yrs since buying this Rollin and still looking for window cranks. Discription is noted above. Have some pieces of the old ones but not enough to make a casting. Some other manufacture must have also used this supplier.

Photos of the broken item would help greatly.

• 2 years later...
Guest JacksonBlack

I'm a novice in this world and I have a specific question - I am trying to track down some facts about this picture - it's supposedly a 1925 Rollin Touring Car in Palau (an island near the Philippines.  Is it?  Would they have gotten this car there?  Or is it several years later, like '36 or '37 and/or a different model?

Thanks for any help in advance to solve this mystery.  

rollin touring.JPG