Light at end of tunnel

Guest Craig57

Guest Craig57

Bought my Reatta at the end of January 09. Working on it ever since. So far have replaced the transmission,catalytic converter,ignition control module,radio brain,plugs,wires, valve cover and oil pan gaskets,fixed broken reaction rod,installed 4 new sensa-trac struts,new rear caliper,sub frame bushings and reman. rack and pinion. Also new battery and 2 new rotors with brake pads all around. Plus other odds and ends like fixing the cruise control. Whew! Off next to get a front end alignment. Other than a short trip to pick up the radio brain from Manikmechic nearby(40 miles round trip) I'm looking forward to driving the car a little bit before winter sets in. Still need to address caulked shut sun-roof and two rust spots in the rear quarters. I'm just now getting back to work so money won't hold me up anymore. Hope to have it finished by spring of 2010.

Craig........could you tell us a little more about the car and work you have done.

This may be a good example of getting a bargin only to find that you do more work that you expected. What did you pay for the car and how much have you spent in $$$ and time

getting it ready to drive?

I have owned 2 Corvettes in my life and I spent so much time fixing problems, replacing parts and changing things that former owners had screwed-up that I hated the cars by the time they were driveable. I vowed never to by another Corvette unless it was pristene.

There is a difference between buying a car you know that need everything and one that you think or have been told it is road worthy.

Guest Craig57

I was almost finished with a 76 Stingray which the wife hated when I sold it to get the Reatta. I paid $2140.00 for the car in January. I had $3800.00 to spend. Now that I have owned mine it seems like these cars are popping up in my area all the time. Not so when I was looking for mine. I wanted a red 89 with a sunroof. I've spent more than I paid for the car on repairs, and its still far from finished. Everybody,you included advised to buy the nicest one I could afford. I bought the first one I saw. At the time I searched nation wide and could not find a red 89 w/roof. Then right after purchase I began to feel like the biggest idiot on the planet.

Guest mongeonman

You never know how much it is going to cost fixing a car until you are finished,i bought a 88 4years ago ,milage 69000,its got new paint job,tires,fixted everything that was not working,ect.I^spent a total of about 8500 canadian dollars including the price of the car(1500).Last week i bought a 90 convert,now trying to sell the 88,but who would pay this much???I think i will keep it.

post-49406-143138119332_thumb.jpg

post-49406-143138119336_thumb.jpg

I got tired of looking at beater Reattas at $2500.00 that needed work so I found one in Florida for $4100.00 that I thought only needed paint...

Well, paint was $1400.00, then struts, engine gaskets and hoses, plugs/wires, brakes, carpet, sunroof, tires, misc. parts, some labor.

I'm sitting at $7000.00. [Would be $6000.00 if I wouldn't have done the carpet and sunroof]. But I enjoy the car and I use it for work [business miles] so I have in deductions aproximately my purchase price back. Selling parts over the last 3 years has got me almost half of my repairs back, so I think I am doing good.

Over all I look at it as a hobby. I must like it as I now own two!?!

Guest Craig57

Daves89 is one of my inspirations here. I have never met him face to face but he has been with me for the entire journey. One of the reasons I like the Reatta over the corvette is the many ways you can personalize the vehicle. Dave has put together his dream car. I hope to clone it. I believe his has spoiler,transmission cooler,sequentional tailights,headlight upgrade,rearview mirror compass,GPS and more. Once mine is finally finished it will be a little different than Daves89 I'm sure. If not then I guess imitation is the best form of flattery.

There is a rule of thumb that when buying a used car, you should reserve about 10% of what the car had originally cost *new* for repairs. Obviously exceptions exist - such as when a car is fairly recent and maybe still under factory warrantee. Or when the PO truly abused the car.

Guest Craig57

I dont think mine was abused as much as neglected. 3800 engine purrs like a kitten. Which reminds me that its a little less kitten like right now as it will need a new muffler soon. Still the 10 percent rule fits me just fine. At least I know what I got. But, "Be careful what you ask for, you might just get it".

Thanks for the praises Craig, but I am more of a Cameleon. I use others ideas.

Spoiler - Ronnie

Compass I have 3, one in the GPS, in the touch screen - Rawja, rear view mirror - ?

Sequential taillights - Greg, Jon and others

I did come up with the console shift light repair [info on Ronnie's site]