ABS Relay

Guest re-reatta

Guest re-reatta

What is the correct part, (brand and number), for the ABS relay on the firewall ? Also, I only see two relays on the firewall, but there is spaces for three. Is that possible ? My ABS light stays on most of the time and I want to put in a new one to be sure that is not the problem. Might as well start with the easiest items first.

Thanks

Guest re-reatta

Anyone know if Standard Motor Products, part #RY-241, will work ?

Thanks for your input Kingglory. You sound like you're tackling yours all at once. Good luck and keep us up on your progress.

Guest Kingglory

I have been tackling this project head on. I was discouraged at first but these Reatta Bro's on here got me all hooked up. There is allot or resources and Ronnie has an awesome page.

Here is the relay info regarding the ABS:

Original style relay that fits the holder properly:

I found an old relay box...the company is GP Sorensen part number MR116GP

Hella also made the relay and they are marked with #25530731 and I think that is a GM number.

Reatta Owners Journal - Home <---Awesome info

Reatta Data Page <-- more info and full service manual on these reatta's ...

When in doubt post it...these guys have helped me a ton !! I have had my reatta about two weeks now....This is not a car anymore but a mission, I also have ADHD, OCD and a few others but I am going to get this car completed! LMAO..

When relay, fuse, or wiring fails the yellow ABS light is on constantly and does not blink if you jumper the ALDL.

Most FLAPS have a generic relay they claim will interchange but the bracket on the back does not fit the holder. If it has a metal bracket it is the wrong one.

Guest smith356

As long as we're on this thread, I've had a problem lately with my ABS light coming on. This usually occurs when the car has not been started for a while ( couple of hours ) and then will eventually go out while I'm driving. If I shut the car off and start it again within a short period of time the light doesn't come on again. Anyone else experience this ??

Red and yellow should come on when you start, then go out. How long it takes depends on how far down the accumulator has drained. After sitting could take 45 seconds to a minute.

Or are you saying that only the yellow comes on, red never or red for shorter time. The difference is important.

Someone earlier said that the 1988-89 had three relays and the 1990 and later had only two........ that is somewhat correct. All 1988's had three and sometime during the 1989 run the relay on the passanger side of the bracket was removed. After that there were only two on the firewall. Unless someone has moved their position, the one closest to the drivers side is the ABS relay the other is for the brake pump motor.

A good way to test them before you go buy one is to pull the relays and switch them.

I have attached a photo showing three similar relays.

The two on the left will work..... the one on the right might plug in but notice the latch is different and will not lock in place. These relays are called "skirted" because the plastic housing comes down and covers the contacts. When they plug into the connector, there is a gasket that seals on the skirt. One other problem we have seen is the retainer on the back side is sometimes the wrong size to fit the Reatta bracket.

For testing you can use almost any relay.

post-30596-143138118767_thumb.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)