39 buick starter rebuild

Guest buicks39

Guest buicks39

i would like to rebuild my starter over the winter and was wondering if i should do it or send it out.are all the parts available and would this be simple project. thanks

I see parts for these starters on eBay quite often. My starter was one of the first things I took off my car. It was full of fibers from the seats thanks to some curious mice over the years. I took it into a local shop and they cleaned it up and tested it. It worked fine, other than the rubber boot being torn on the solenoid. They told me just not to drive it in wet weather or I may get stranded. I'm not too worried since it won't be driveable for a long time still. I just wanted to see if it would turn over.

I would think any local auto electric shop could rebuild it as well. I know the one I went to had all kinds of parts for it---at least they said they did. They said even if they didn't, they could order a kit still for it with new brushes and all.

Guest buicks39

mark it is not dead but after the car gets hot,it does not want to start.the battery is fully charged and tested after the car has been driven.figure i would start with the starter since everything else seems to check out.i did take the starter to two rebuilders and it checked out ok. thanks

I would replace the battery cables, one from positve post to the starter solenoid and one from negative battery post to ground. Use cables made for 6 volts, nothing smaller than 1/0. Most cables sold in parts stores are too light and only suitable for 12 volt systems. Clean all connections to bright metal.

Good luck.

Joe, BCA 33493

JP is probably right. If the professionals say the starter is OK, it is probably a cable issue. You can have a great looking cable that has significant internal resistance that causes you to pull your hair out. Good properly sized cables with tight clean connections will probably fix your problem.

I just went through this with my '41 Buick and I had the guy at NAPA cut about and inch off both ends of the cable and crimp new ends on them. The old cable is a little on the long side anyway. It really cranks over nicely now. And before, it would sometimes act like it was a dead spot in the starter.

Guest buicks39

cables are new and are heavy duty. i noticed in another thread something about polarizing the system,but i have not done that and will it make a difference.