Stalling right after startup-1989 Red Coupe

Guest Soupy074

Guest Soupy074

I just registered for this forum. I'm sure my problem has been discussed before, but here goes. Within a couple minutes after startup and idling, the enging starts sagging and shortly shuts down. After that it usually runs o.k. the rest of the day, but once in awhile it sags at a stop sign. No codes are set. I've checked the fuel pressure and it holds around 42psi. The displayed TPS stays steady, but the IAC goes wild and goes up to over 150. I understand at idle it should be around 38. A few weeks ago I replaced the IAC with a used one. No difference. The resistance of the two IAC windings are around 50 ohms, which is normal according to the manual. Any suggestions?

My wife's car was similar. Thanks to Daves89 I looked at the MAF and found two O rings under there. Obviously from one time I had been using her car to test parts. Anyway, the two O rings wasn't the problem but I put on a different MAF and the car runs much better almost prefect. I am going to look at the IAC next.

Guest Soupy074

I haven't changed the Oxygen Sensor in years, but the indications on the computer shows that it is cylcling on and off and is within the range stated in the manual. It's a cheap try. I'll pick one up next time I'm in town. Thanks

One other thing you might want to check for is a leaky vacuum hose.

In the 3 weeks that I have had our Reatta the S-shaped hose with the 90° bend in it, that runs into the downstream side of the MAF, has popped off 5 or 6 times. When this happens, unmetered air gets into the system and the computer gets very confused. It becomes hard to start - especially when warm, and the idle is weird. So I finally bought a little 3/8" quick-disconnect hose clamp for it to solve the problem.