88 Reatta hard brake pedal

Guest charliebill

Guest charliebill

Greetings all. First time poster. Have 88 Reatta, no previous problems with brakes. Just normal driving when brake pedal required both feet to stop car. Much like loss of power brake system. Brake fluid had been at proper level prior to problem, but was showing OVERFILL after malfunction. I'm no tech, but common sense indicates a possible blockage somewhere. Any advice or comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

charliebill

The is a label on the side of the reservoir that shows the proper level. This is after the brake pedal has been pumped about 25 times. Your pump/motor has not been running and your using the brakes has caused the fluid stored in the accumulator to all go back into the reservoir. At this point you should be at the high level mark. You have too much in the system but that is not your problem. Your pump/motor is not running because of bad relays on the firewall, ( not likely ) or a bad pump/motor or a bad pressure switch. Remove the connector on your pressure switch and look inside for any seepage of brake fluid. Even the tiniest drop near the pins indicates a bad pressure switch. This switch turns on the pump motor and pressurizes the accumulator.

I have been selling Reatta parts for many years at reasonable prices and have a good used pump/motor and pressure switches available. I can be reached at jfinn@cpinternet.com

post-30613-143138111153_thumb.jpg

You might want to go to Reatta Data Page and read about the brakes.

Jim has covered the most likely problems, but you need a way of finding which component is bad.

While you are fixing the problem, I strongly suggest you flush/purge the system of the old fluid and get new DOT 3 in there.

Could a comma be in the rong lace ? My experience lately is that the relays are the most likely problem. More important, were the red and yellow warning lights on when the pedal was hard ? If not then we need to look at the system differently (pressure switch).

Guest charliebill

Thanks Barney. From past forum history, I would have been disappointed had YOU not replied. It appears that you have helped many others in the past and you have already helped me. Thanks again.

charliebill

Guest charliebill

THANKS Jim. You have gone far and beyond to help another stranger. From the looks of things, I'm just added to a very long list of others who have benefited from your expertise. Many many thanks.

charliebill

Guest charliebill

Don't think so about the comma, but there were no warning lights prior or after and I'm certain all lights do light upon system test. Thanks for the input.

charliebill

Do the lights stay on for about 30 seconds in the morning or are they on only briefly when you turn the key on ? The latter would indicate either a bad pressure switch or a short in the circuit.

Is the pedal always hard or only sometimes ?