DA windscreen posts?

LennyDaVinci

Does anyone know on which models (and when) Dodge used the 3-piece windscreen posts shown here (sorry about the small image). They have 2 hinges for folding on each side.

I have them on a roadster and it appears that others do as well. They are square section at the bottom with square mounting rubbers to the cowl.

post-57907-14313811074_thumb.jpg

I am not sure that I understand your question but I will take a stab and hope that someone else can add to the little I know and that is the 29/30 Roadster and Phaeton used the windshield post that you describe and I believe if memory serves me you have on your car. These poste are going to be identical as far as I know. Also the Dodge Brothers eight used the same windshield posts it would appear by literature I have on their roadsters and Phaetons but I cannot say for defanite it is identical in every way since I have not seen personally a single example in person. I do have several pages of literaature with pictures and print and will post a couple here showing and describing your windshield. Hope this helps. BTW. the convertible coupe as you may already know had a stationary windshield that did not fold down.

I think some time ago we discussed the finish on your windshield stanchions, I think that we or I was guessing that it was chromed, I dont think I was able to confirm that but I can now. If it was not you that I discussed this with a few months back then let me know so I can figure out who it was and let them know what I found here. Thanks...Jason

post-48869-143138110856_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138110858_thumb.jpg

post-48869-14313811086_thumb.jpg

Once again, thanks Jason.

No, it wasn't me who communicated with you earlier about this, but that info and scans were invaluable. As my car was Australian-bodied, there is often dispute as to what parts were used on which models. All my DA friends swear my windshield is not Dodge. You diagram confirms that the Roadster did have chromed, folding surrounds. I would appreciate any other documents that you might have regarding this model.

Lenny, looks like I have to back up a bit and please let me know that you have read this. According to the parts book which I have posted here the pages I am speaking of the harware between the roadsters and Phaetons were not the same. I unfortunately do not have any knowledge of what the various pieces would be called individually but I can guess and I can see that they do not match. So my guess would also be that the eight cylinder cars may either match with the hardware in order that I have given here or may be completely different stuff although my guess that would be that it matches what is here but with possibly superceded part #s. I would find it hard to believe that Dodge completely retooled the hardware in such a short time frame.

It also suggests here that if you were to order the parts themselves chrome was not avail and that is in my opinion accounted by the fact that we have to go by dates of various publications and of course also accuracy of publications, I have found more than a handfull of errors in the Dodge Brothers parts book and countless errors in various other publications.

Not to beat a dead horse but yes it often seems that no two Dodge Brothers vehicles are the same but to say that is really just to broad of a statement. If we all agreed to that then whats to stop us from hotrodding our cars? There are certain patterns with these cars, variations which I am sure can be accounted for by serial #s and prod. dates, that is what we should all be agreeing to in my opinion. With enough studying it is obvious to see that within the larger picture the cars followed a pretty stable production model and that is hopefully what we are all after following. Hope you get my meaning......now get the right brake canister!!....Kidding

post-48869-143138110871_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138110874_thumb.jpg

I dont know if we have any Victory guys that frequent here but I sure would like to hear from someone that has any info of what the Victorys used assuming that they had a roadster and phaeton model. And I am only guessing that they did. Also maybe Keiser will tell us wether his particular series had these models as well and post what info he may have including pages from his parts book so we can all compare. This is an interesting subject that I am anxious to learn more about.

Oh ... if only it was that simple! (Jason)

I agree that it is worth tracking the peculiarities of some models, especially at that time when Dodge was becoming Chrysler. You can appreciate the added difficulty when the Australian importer (T. J. Richards of Adelaide), imported rolling chassis and then assembled whatever the local market demanded. Stock must have been hard to hold and there would have been a considerable time delay with his supply. I'm sure that is why some 'strange' parts end up on Aust-bodied cars. I have read all you provided (thanks) and find it very useful. I will try to get a decent photo of my windshield tonight and post that for you. It appears to be the same as the earlier diagram you posted.

I found the dimensioned profile REALLY useful as it helps me set up the suspension!

Lenny, glad that I could help, I do have more info if need be. Your windshield post is correct, I have alot more photos from orig. publications showing that, I may be able to find closer pict. showing more details if need be. Just ask any more specific questions and I will do my best to look into it. I did not realize until now and cannot at this point defanitely confirm this withought going to my paint charts but it appears that Roadster was only offered in three different color variations, is that true. I am just reading a NEW SIX publication that I have here and this caught my eye. Maybe though it is another error, if you do not know than I will dig out my paint charts.

If you ever have the time Lenny I would appreciate a very clear explanation of anything you know concerning exported models, I know nothing concerning this.

Ok the cars were exported directly from where???

I am assuming they were carried via freightships, any idea of who carried these. Was there any one carrier and during what points were the DA models exported, I mean what dates?

It is my understanding that when a car was exported it was really only a chasis, is that correct? I have early photos showing entire dissasembled cars being exported but have no info about our particular model and how it was sent, do you.

Who was TJ Richards, was he a dealer there in Australia and is Adelaide the name of a city there.??

Was he a friend or buisness partner of the Dodge Brothers or was he just a random dealer selected to sell the cars?

Was he the only Dodge dealer in Australia at the time that built or sold these cars?

Is the firm still in buisness and if not when did they go out or under and why?

Why did Dodge pick Australia as a place to sell there cars, why specifically there, I mean I know there are a few other places throughout the world that they exported to but so few and wondering what prompted them to decide on these locations.

I guess this might be redundant but what could I expect if I lived in Aust. in 1929 and ordered a new Dodge DA, could I order and entire car, if not then who specifically built them, if I am correct I thought that I had read they were wooden bodied cars but I may be way off there, who did the coachwork if that is true? Was it just a rolling frame powerplant that I could expect to be American made.

I believe that there was another firm possibly there at the same time dealing Dodge which was called Holden, is that true and if so did T.J. Richards and Holden deal only with Dodge cars.

I think that I have also read that T.J s first all steel body Dodge was made in 37, is that true?

Anything you can add to any of this would be appreciated.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Thanks again John, it is interesting that alot of the part #s for your roadster bodies start with a 217 while DA start with 215, I think if memory serves me that this is no coincedence, that Dodge part #s were used with a very defanite sequence. Its been a while since I have studied my parts book so I am a little out of the loop. Are the DH windshield stanchions similar in appearence or are they matches to what I have posted on DA. I know that pict. leave alot to be desired but just curious.

Jason (and others),

I do have some of the answers to your questions about the import to Australia ... but as this thread is getting off-topic, I will collect what I have about Richrads etc and start a new thread in the next few days. Chrysler museum could not find a match for my cars numbers ... so US records may be missing some details. It was 1929 and the crash (the first one) was in full flight. Also Chrysler were taking over .. its not surprising.

In the meantime, just to get a picture of 1929 in Adelaide .. the city was only founded in 1836 on native land taken from indigenous tribal Aborigines, and its about as far from Detroit as you can get. More to come.

Here is the 1931 DG8 windshield post. It is very similar to the earlier item if not an exact match. I have never seen a 1931 DH6 or DG8 roadster in person, but I do know that the 1931 Chrysler CM6 and possibly the CD8 have the similar posts.

post-37352-143138111139_thumb.jpg

Jason, not to hijack, but if you are following the serial number articles in the last two DBC newsletters the statement of no two DBs being the same makes more sense. DB made running changes as they were developed, didn't wait for a model year to change things. If you look at the sequence they might change four parts or assemblies at a time. BUT, and it's a BIG BUT, they had overlaps where they could use some old parts/assemblies after the new ones were introduced. AND the overlaps don't end at the same time so there are many variations to be had. I agree with your staement that there is some kind of order to the madness. But without the documentation that will be coming out in the next newsletters it's difficult to follow. I think this may be the most important information EVER given in the DBC newsletters. The guys doing the research all have tons of documentation to compare. I have a similar copy of sequential changes for VWs that was published years ago called Progressive Refinements. It takes a lot of the guess work out of trying to decifer a car. It also makes me a firm believer to buy the most complete and original car you can.

I have not been following that article close enough perhaps because it is geared more toward 4 cyl cars and although I am in complete agreement with what you said above I also just maybe should clarify that I was trying to subtly give my opinion that there was no way in heck the fellows brake canister was correct for a 29 Dodge if it were an American built car. I went online last night and tried to find info concerning the Aussie built cars but came up with little except the creeping feeling that anything went over there if you get my meaning so it may very well be an original for an Aussie built car. I look forward to seeing what Lenny comes up with and hope that others have things to offer or add. As far as I know and correct me if I am wrong but I dont think that the serial # articles will cover the 6 cyl cars and all the avil info that has been collected on them will still remain a mystery to many of us for now.

Thanks again Keiser for the info