leaky pipe plug in gas tank

Steve Braverman

I recently had the tank out of Dad's 1923 Franklin. The original drain plug got lost so I got a replacement at the auto parts store. It's a brass plug in a steel bung. No matter how tight I make it, it drips. Is there any kind of sealant that it appropriate for this?

Hello Steve,

Thanks again for the photos on the sit and ride jeep.

We use good old # 2 Perma-tex. The nasty brown stuff in the tube. It will remain soft for latter removal but should stop the gas leak. I believe it even says gas lines, etc. on the tube.

Good luck

You also want to make sure the thread on the replacement plug matches the hole. ie NPT or straight thread. Most of the old cars used plumbing tapered thread on tanks. Most modern brass fittings that you buy at auto stores are NPS straight thread. Normally NPS will only start to thread into NPS hole unless it is worn and/or you force it or re-thread it. You can buy brass NPT plugs at Home Depot plumbing.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, it is pipe thread. Plumbing supply or hardware store will have it. There is a special fuel proof petcock lube (keeps them from dripping, and also prevents binding up) which also works as a non-hardening gasket compound for fuel related items. It is mainly used in aviation, but I think it is for sale from some of the antique car parts vendors.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...