SC engine swap

Guest steveskyhawk

Guest crtnrds

My '88 had a '92 Riviera motor in it when I bought it. I promptly blew it up & replaced the motor with a 2002 Regal GS Series II motor. Used most of the sensors that were in the S I motor (some of which were probably from the original motor). Ryan G. reprogramed the chip for me. Wasn't too bad a swap.

Guest Richard D
My '88 had a '92 Riviera motor in it when I bought it. I promptly blew it up & replaced the motor with a 2002 Regal GS Series II motor. Used most of the sensors that were in the S I motor (some of which were probably from the original motor). Ryan G. reprogramed the chip for me. Wasn't too bad a swap.

Why did it blow up? Run it out of oil? Throttle stick? On purpose?

I always thought with proper care these engines are pretty much bullet proof.

Richard

Guest RynoDyno312

Did you retain the touch-screen functionality?

The S I motor had a rod knock when I bought it. I bought it as a package deal with another stock Reatta which I sold for substancially more than I paid for both of them, so the SC car was essentially a freebe.

Yes, I did retain the touch screen. That's the best part.

Guest RynoDyno312
Yes you do as long as you use the original OBD1 sensors.

So you could use a series 2 engine, and as long as all your sensors are OBD1 the CRT still functions?

For example, if I got a hold of a series 2 long block, swapped all the sensors from my LN3 onto it, got the ecu flashed, and dropped it in, it would be good to go? This would be running at stock boost.

I thought the series 2 swap would be much more complicating seeing how different it is from a series 1.

Forgive me if this is repetitive. I'm not new to cars or modifying them, but the Reatta is much differnt than the more modern cars i am used to. It's much cimpler, mechanically, but the electronics are a bit intimidating.

Edit: is there a way to block-off the EGR without setting off a CEL and still pass smog?

Yes, I kept the touchscreen, as Daniel mentioned, with OBD1 sensors. The SI motor had a rod Knock when I bought it as a package deal with another Reatta. I just ran it (hard) til it blew about 1/2 mile from my house. And, yes, it ran out of oil by the time I got home.

Guest Greg Ross

Like Daniel says, and as long as you don't disrupt the data link between the ECM/ BCM and use OBD 1 Sensors everything works including the Scan Tool. My ECM PROM was altered to turn off the EGR input, (I don't have an EGR) and where I have the 5-Spd. all the tranny inputs are turned off. When I removed the Transmission shift position shitch I just hard wired it up so that it thinks it's in 4th gear all the time. The park/ neutral saftey is also wired/ powered as I recall. I could have set up an interloc switch on the clutch pedal to enable that feature but never have.

Otherwise, everything in the Scan features works as it should.

Is it harder to put in a 3.8 Turbo from a Grand National than the Supercharged engine? It seems the 3.8 Turbo is a well proven package that would offer great performance. If it's harder then can someone please explain the differences?

Thanks in advance!

Major difference is that the MAF sensor for a "C" 3800 (88-90) maxes at 170 g/sec and the boosted engine goes considerably higher. Also the advance maps are different.

Greg has more real experience but AFAIR you can use the advance maps from a 92-94 SC engine. BTW you can program for more advance and it will feel like is has more power - for a brief period.

Is it harder to put in a 3.8 Turbo from a Grand National than the Supercharged engine? It seems the 3.8 Turbo is a well proven package that would offer great performance. If it's harder then can someone please explain the differences?

Thanks in advance!

Rear wheel drive Buick V6's have a different bellhousing bolt pattern making it a deal breaker right there.

Guest RynoDyno312
Rear wheel drive Buick V6's have a different bellhousing bolt pattern making it a deal breaker right there.

Wouln't you just need an adapter plate to fix that?

Wouln't you just need an adapter plate to fix that?

Starter on wrong side, intake manifold is reversed, etc.

It's a project that would take more money and time than I have to spare.

Just get a GNX and then at least the wheels spin at the correct end of the car!