1939 FENDER LIGHTS

Guest LarsG

I am restoring a Series 40 1939 Buick coupe and have some doubts regarding the fender lights.

My car had these when bought from last owner but it seems they are from a 1937-8 model.

Anyway, one of them gost lost and I obtained a set of similar but repro units which are by the way identical in shape to the old ones (37-8??).

My question is twofold:

1) which would be the correct light for a 39 when fitted?

2) Can anybody help me as to the exact position this fender light should be positioned? (How far from the front fender edge and how far from the headlamp, for instance).

Please, someone give a hand to this old Buick fan from Valparaiso, Chile.

Thanks,

Lars

Guest p foley

The 37 and 38 Buick fender lights are distinctly different from the 39. They look similar to but are different from the 1940 Packard. Be careful when buying these as most sellers are unaware of the difference. It is best to find someone in the Buick club who is restoring a 39 and have them draw a templet for the location of the holes to be drilled. It is conceivable that the holes already existing are in the correct position. Suggest you look on ebay as these lisghts come up for sale periodically.

Cheers,

Paul

IMy question is twofold:

1) which would be the correct light for a 39 when fitted?

Correct is as image attached [not my car] 1939's have a chrome strip on top of the fender light.

2) Can anybody help me as to the exact position this fender light should be positioned? (How far from the front fender edge and how far from the headlamp, for instance).
Thats the information you need but the curvature on 1937-38 repro you have may be the same as your fender.

I also need a template as have a set of fender lights (ex ebay.com)

Edit:

Found this image (red fender) on a CD sent to be me by Janne. Unsure if these 4 holes are in the correct place for a series 40. Can you help Janne ?

post-51977-143138106915_thumb.jpg

post-51977-14313810692_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1939_buick
added image (see edit history)

My appreciation to you all, folks: P Foley, 1939_buick, Ed as well as Janne!

The procedure to follow is now clear to mew: remove the present lights and fill the holes, then try to locate a pair of correct 39 lights and fix them in the correct position.

Thanks very much,

LarsG

• 1 month later...

I believe your will find the 1939 lamps are split via a seam down the center (of the top) and the screw that holds them together comes in from the engine side. In the case of 1939's you need a right and left.

The 1938 (and possibly the 1937) is split along the horizontal plane. The screw comes in from the top. There is no right or left, they are both the same.

Someone with a parts book could verify the part number difference... I don't know if the lense is the same.

Hello Billy, Barney and Janne:

I am sorry I took me so long to reply to you, I was away at an antique auto show.

Thanks so much to the three of you for your comments!

No, I am not Swedish nor Norwegian...you forgot to mention "Danish", Janne!

Actually, my parents were Danes but I was live and was born here in Chile!

Regards,

Lars

Those are the correct lights, but mine only has 3 holes like this. Maybe mine were added aftermarket. I have no idea which is correct personally.

buick1.jpg

Yes. I think 3 holes is correct as the gasket [centre] in the attached image

post-51977-143138121612_thumb.jpg

• 11 years later...

40 Packard parking lights are very close in appearance to 39s, but the lenses are not interchangeable. Also the 39 Buick has a chrome plated diecast backbone with 2 side halves. The Packard has a stainless ring fitting up against the glass lens and is separate from the chrome backbone. If I remember correctly the Packard parking light is slightly shorter as well. I have a factory template for installing 39 parking lights and I'll post it if I can find it  

Thanks Leif

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, fosbreed1 said:

Good Luck Lars !

Lars posted in 2009 and now is not an active forum user.

I had several email with Lars, but not for some years now. I think he did get the correct 1939 Fender lights. He has/had a many collectable cars.

• Thanks 1

I have a factory template for placing 39 Buick parking lights correctly on the fenders. Unfortunately I've spent 45 frustrating minutes trying to post a photo on line. I hate technology that is more smart than I am, but for me it happens all the time. If someone is interested maybe a Vulcan mind meld will work.

Thanks

Duh Leif