Cranky 1990 REATTA

Guest breather

Guest breather

It started out maybe once every couple of weeks that I would shut the car off, go to a store, come out and the car wont start. I mean it wont even crank! I dont know if it is related, but it seems that this happens on the hottest of days here in Florida. Three times I have called a tow truck, but before they get to me, the bugger decides to start!? This is now happening once or twice a week. Any Ideas???

It started out maybe once every couple of weeks that I would shut the car off, go to a store, come out and the car wont start. I mean it wont even crank! I dont know if it is related, but it seems that this happens on the hottest of days here in Florida. Three times I have called a tow truck, but before they get to me, the bugger decides to start!? This is now happening once or twice a week. Any Ideas???
Do you hear a click when you try to start the engine? Turn the headlights on and try to start it. Did the headlights keep burning bright or go dim, or completely out?

I would start with the basics and have the battery tested first, then move on to other things that are harder to troubleshoot.

Guest poindexterscat

If the starter turns it over but it wont start this happened on mine and turned out to be the crank sensor.simpton was that it would usually crank cold but once driven it wouldnt start again, then try in a few minutes it would start and run fine again. acted like a vat problem until it failed completely and then it became more evident what the problem was.

Guest breather

Hey Ronnie,

There seems to be a very slight click when I try to start, but that's about it.

Funny thing is I remember on the last two times, when I turned on some lights or some other electrical, that's when it started.

Guest poindexterscat

have you tried shifting to neutral and trying to start it? sometimes a neutral start switch can act up and give that noise. It could also be a weak starter solonoid at fault if there is a click but it doesnt turn over. Hope this helps narrow it down.. Intermitant problems can be really frustrating .

Edited by poindexterscat (see edit history)

Guest Richard D

I do not know if this applys to the 3.8's in our cars, but I used to have a 1980 Chevy crew cab pick-up with duel wheels and an 8 foot bed (lots of fun to park) with a 454 cid engine. When pulling a 30 foot travel trailer for more than an hour if I shut the engine off the starter would not crank. I finally tried spraying some cool water on the starter, which had the exhaust headers wrapped around it would work fine after a few minutes of water on it. I replaced the aftermarket starter with a Delco starter and the problem went away.

Start by checking the battery cables..... disconnect them and verify they are not corroded, then put vasoline or other lube on them and snug them down.

Next check the ground lugs that are located to the front of the battery on the radiator support. You will see a stud and a hex head screw that has several black wires going to them. Make sure they are tight.

There are some other things to try but after doing that check back with us.

Below is a photo and you can see the brass colored studs just past the battery.

I attempted to add arrows to point them out but for some reason my photo program is failing when I attempt to add text. Ronnie or someone that wants to play with my photo, go for it.

post-30596-143138105748_thumb.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

In a pre-computer engine just a click would mean either the solenoid is not getting enough power (DVM is handy) or the solenoid is weak/burnt. I'd just tighten all connections and if power is good, for $80 you can get a rebuilt starter complete with solenoid. Just did the white car. No big.

Back in the day, Corvettes had both a heat shield and a weaker spring to make the starter more reliable. ('nother reason to run just a little cooler).

When a SBC had this problem you just opened the hood and gave it about 10 minutes of fresh air. Then it would start.

Guest jcc3inc

Sir,

My suspicion is, if you hear a click but no starter operation, that the contacts on the starter solenoid are not making contact; likely they are somewhat worn, and do not always connect to apply battery power to the starter motor.

Regards,

Jack C.