63-64 Turbine Spinner Hubcap Information

TexRiv_63

I came across this while going through my leftover Buick stuff and wanted to share it. It's a factory illustration that shows how the optional bolt-on aluminum wheelcovers install and it also lists all the part numbers. There were different assembly numbers depending on whether the caps were factory installed or dealer installed. I did not know that there were two different wheel widths in 63 but there were, and these caps came with two different sets of mounting studs to accomodate both. This is for 1963 specifically so the part numbers may be different for 64.

DOC004.PDF

Don,

I read this a little different than you do. Perhaps someone else can chime in. I read that the covers were all factory installed and the caps (perhaps shipped in the trunk) were installed once the car arrived at the dealership. I think the two cover numbers differentiate between covers with different length studs for the two different width wheels (only one cover, two lengths of studs.) Anyone else?

I didn't however realize that the different tire option included a different sized wheel. Thanks; very interesting.

Ed

Ed,

That might be the case. the 63 parts manual lists these caps as a dealer package in the very front along with mats, mirrors, etc. but the parts are also listed under the correct 5.8 group, so I assumed they came both ways. This page came out of a NOS box for one of the dealer assemblies, which includes both sets of studs.

Thanks for taking the time to get that online..Some things only a car guy would understand! I love little tidbits like that.

Because you did that i am going to post this:

This is an egg or tuna salad cellophane wrapper off a canteen truck...slapped onto, and bolted onto the backside of a 65 Riv headlight visor assembly. You can make out "FLINT" and "SALAD" on the label. Obviously somebody on the line thought they were cute.... You maybe can make out the bolt hole, it's been back there for 45 yrs!, I don't know...just love stuff like this, and those documents above!

Steve

post-31521-143138105021_thumb.jpg

post-31521-143138105024_thumb.jpg

Edited by gungeey (see edit history)

Guest Riviera66

I agree with Ed's interpretation. Caps were installed at the dealership. While it was available at factory or as dealer option, the caps (as well as all wheelcovers) were installed upon arrival at the dealer.

A sheet I'd never seen before either... I wasn't aware of the 2 rim widths for 7.1 vs 7.6" tires.

Darwin Falk

1966-70 ROA Technical Advisor.

Ed,

I have seen a number of these used caps and they have had both length studs. The caps I used on my car had the longer studs and they would not work with my wheels as I had the 7.10-15 smaller setup. I had to swap the studs to the shorter version, so there must have been two different wheels at some time during 63 - 64.

• 1 year later...

I ended up taking off the outer "caps" myself, before driving up to the installer. Dropped the car off and got a phone call later saying they couldn't get the lugnuts off. They're going to soak them overnight and see if that helps.

That's one of the things I usually write on the post-it notes I plaster all over the place. You should watch the guys in the shop anyway - I took my '63 to Midas once and as they hoisted it off the ground, I realized that the young grease monkey was treating it as a unibody car and didn't have his lift pads on the frame. I think that's when my back window started leaking - the seal in the rear window probably opened in a couple of places. Arrgghhhhhh! :mad:

Chances are that the guy that will be working on your car wasn't even born when it was new. Caveat Emptor.

Ed

Typically the car only goes to one shop - a trusted mechanic that worked at a Buick dealership in the '60s, so he knows these cars very well. However, the car has had these bias ply tires on for the past 40 yrs, and this is probably the only time in the last 20 years that the car is going to a different shop...So, I really appreciate the help I've found here. You're right about the car being older than all the employees at the shop.

That being said, what exactly should I tell them about putting the car on the lift? Better safe than sorry.

Just make sure that they know the car is a full frame car and needs to be lifted using the frame. The frame, engine, transmission, and rear end is a lot of weight to suspend from rusty body bolts if they try to lift it using the body. Be honest with the guys at the shop. Tell them of the horror stories you've been told and that you'd rather be safe than sorry. If the service writer gets indignant about it, it's probably a good sign that you're in the wrong place.

I'd be concerned right now if there's a big L on the end of the wheel stud facing the guy handling the impact wrench and he can't ask what it means or see which way the threads are turning just by looking at it. Who knows how high he turned that thing up trying to "loosen" those lug nuts. They may be on really tight now. Ask them to put the impact gun away when they put the lugs back on. Insist that they hand tighten the lugs using a hand held torque wrench. Be involved, it will pay off in the long run.

Ed

Success! The shop called and they managed to get the lug nuts off and were able to put the new tires on. The nuts were reverse thread, so I'm glad I posted in here, or else I might be paying for new studs right now. Thanks guys!

I'm anxious to drive the car with radials and see if I notice the difference over the old bias ply.