1949 Desoto Coupe

Guest spc13b

Guest spc13b

Hello All I am new here. I live in Oklahoma City, OK. I am 28 years old and a Veteran. I rescued a 1949 Desoto coupe from going to the scales to be crushed. The picture is the way it looks now. I have a long way to go but I love these cars. From what I was told is that it has a nova subframe under it. Any advice on this classic car would be great. Thanks. Hope to hear from all you soon.

cid_864.jpg

Spc13b,

Issue is the subframe. It sounds like someone started a street rod (as thousands do) and lost interest when it became overwhelming.

The question is do you want to restore it or continue down the rod road. Personally I have no issues with street rods. But having a nova subframe implies a chevy small block would be the best easiest engine swap route.

The DeSoto club coupe is a favorite of mine. I have a 49 Chrysler Club coupe.

Check in often with questions. 1st - buy a Hemmings Motor News at a local Barnes & Noble and check out the Mopar and DeSoto sections. Buy the shop manuals for the car. Join a club or two.

Guest spc13b

I will most likely keep it as it is and go with a rat rod type setup. I think it will be the easiest way for me. I would not mind going all back to original but my wallet would. :D

If it was me I would leave the Nova sub but go with a Mopar running gear. Motor and trans mounts are easy and Mopar purists would not be so likley to look down their noses at your Chev motor.

I totally agree!! MoPar 273, 318, 340 or 360 would be sweet and that "Chebby" thing could be nipped in the bud.

Guest spc13b

Well I have a lot to think about such as what all I am going to do. I will keep everything posted and up to date. I will post build up photo's as I get stuff done.

Guest spc13b

It does have all the chrome trim. It is in a friends garage. I think I will go with the rod and the chevy motor for now. Like you said they are cheap. I have to get this thing road ready as soon as I can due to having a baby on the way. I have about 5 months to get it road worthy before the baby is here. Another reason why I am going to go with the chevy motor is because I have 2 good machined blocks. I have a 327 and 350 SBC. I have a carbed 4.3 liter also if I had to use it but I would rather have the 327 or 350.

• 1 month later...
Guest spc13b

Well I thought I would give an update. So far I have pulled off the front clip and sanded them down to bare metal. I just finished pulling off the doors and the front and rear factory seats. (They are not really seats just metal frame and springs). Cleaned out all the junk and debris out of the inside. It does have a chevrolet front clip. I am not sure from what exactly. Every single piece of chrome was inside the car. It does need to be cleaned and polished. besides all of that, thats all I have done so far. It does need a new floor welded in on the front half of the inside. It is all rusted out. Would it be worth just welding in a while new floor? Also I found the VIN or Manufacturers Serial Number. It starts with 500073xx. If anyone can tell me anything about it in more detail. Also there is no title for this car when I got it. Do I just need to file for a lost title like I would in a regular car? I am not sure since it was a manufacturers serial number instead of an actual VIN. Any info would help.

Thanks all and I will post pics as soon as I get some.

• 1 year later...