Tire Mounting - Wire Wheels

TexRiv_63

I am replacing the tires and tubes on my 32 Cadillac and need help with the mounting process. My wire wheels are nicely painted and I have tried to find someone locally (Dallas, TX area) who can mount them by hand without scratching the wheels. The guy at Discount Tire says he can do it but my confidence level is very low on that option. A restoration shop recommended a tire shop but the owner said it was pretty much impossible to do it without scratching the wheels and would not take the job. Some other local car buddies did not have specific experience but said others told them it is a real problem finding someone to do it right. I know there are a lot of big Classics out there with painted wheels, what experiences have you had and what do you recommend? Obviously if anyone has had direct dealings with someone in the Dallas area that would really help.

Guest palosfv3

This should not be that big of an issue. Todays tire changing machines are much better than those of the past. If they can mount one of the new $ 1000.00 plus wheels without marring the wheel they should be able to do these. The only point of concern would be where the locking jaws contact the inner part of the wheel. They should be able to put a small rubber strip on the jaws to minimized any issues where they contact the rim.

I suggest you call Wallace Wade, the tire marketer who is based in Dallas. I remember them telling me some time ago that they could refer customers to a highly experienced tire mounter who was used to working with the older tire and wheel combinations.

On my '35 Auburn, my brother and I worked together to mount the tires on freshly painted wire wheels. We worked them into place without any (or only limited) use of metal tools. We used a rubber mallet to gently "bump" the first tire bead onto the rim, and were then able to "walk" the second bead on by standing on the tire and moving around it to press the bead down.

Heck, it was easier to do than to describe.

If you have snap rings, as my '29 Packard does, that's a different challenge. The tires go on easily, then you have to manhandle the ring. You can get most of the ring in place using bare hands, but will need a tool to pry the final few inches into place. Use wood where possible, or wrap a steel prybar with masking tape. It's not unusal to end up with a scratch or two on the rim edge at the end of the process.

Edited by jrbartlett (see edit history)

thanks for the replies -

Palosfv3, I've been told not to risk wheel damage with machine mounting. I think less of a cosmetic concern than the hydraulic pressure that operates them.

James, I have talked to Wallace, who i will probably buy the tires from. His contact is far from where i live and i was hoping to find someone in the immediate Dallas area. Were the wheels on your auburn the drop center type? that's what I have on the Cadillac, although i have to remove the old tires before installing the new. If I could do it myself without major mishap that would be sweet.

• 4 months later...

Here's a tip that will help you. Leave your tires outside on a really hot day-preferably on blacktop if you have access to this. The heat from the sun will give the tires the added flexibility you need to help mount .. Also, use lots of lubricant-talc, soapy water, even silicon spray. It's not that big of a job but it is certainly made easier if you have an extra set of hands or two.