leaking heater (help) 1965 Riviera

Guest elco

Hello I am new so pleace be gental. I just bought a 1965 Riviera and the heater core was disconneted because it was leaking. I am planing to replace it and wanted to know if anyone has been down this road and could give any advice.

It looks like it can be removed from the engine conpartment, it will be a tight sqeeze but that looks like the only way.

thanks

You'll have to cut the firewall to get it out that way. The proper though extremely more labor involved way is to basically pull most of the interior out and pull the backside of the ducting off of the heater system and get it out that way.

My '64 is hacked from a previous owner doing the heater core through the engine bay, it takes a good coat of RTV to get the box to seal anymore due to the metal of both the cover and the firewall being so warped.

Guest musclecarfan65

i will search my home PC if i can find some pics about this firewall-cutting.

i have done that already & a picture says more than 1000 words.

it took me about 1/2 with an air-saw to cut a right sized hole.

People can do whatever they want with their car, I won't begrudge them that. But what's so damn hard about taking out the heater core the right way? What's the rush that a couple extra hours are going to make a difference? When a dash light burns out do you snip the harness and solder in a new socket?? KE-RIPES!

Think about it...It's a HOBBY! Not some POS we just have to "keep running"...

Like I said, do what you want, but I'de rather properly dismantle the WHOLE CAR that hack the sh!t out of it as a "shortcut".

Steve ROA9236

Edited by gungeey (see edit history)

First of let me say thanks guys for your help. I agree and don't mind doing the extra work to avoid cuting the car up. from the what I can see it don't look like it's been cut out before, would it be obvious?

Plus by me having to take out the center consule I will put in some badly needed new carpet and maybe look at drive side seat motor and greece the tracks. also the clock and radio don't work any advice would be welcome. if you guys have other things you might think to look at while I'm under there please let me know.

I ordered the CD service manual yesterday so as soon as I get it I will start. thanks again

Guest ZombyWoof

From what I remember from the ROA website (members only section), wasn't the '63 the only year it needed to be done from inside? Isn't the '65 heater core properly removable and do-able from the engine compartment?

In the Members Only Section of the ROA website there are three articles on 63-65 heater core removal. The first one deals with removal from the inside, the second deals with removal from the outside, and the third is a factory service bulletin. Do it the way the factory recommends.

If the car is your daily driver, you might want to get it done as quickly as possible so do what's necessary. It's not winter yet so you don't need the heater and if it's already by-passed you're not leaking antifreeze into your carpet so take your time, and do it the way that will not damage your car. Doing it from the inside will also allow you to look and see if there is any other interior damage from the core when it was leaking.

Get yourself a six pack of your favorite beverage, turn on some good tunes, and get a tube of Neosporin and a box of Band-aids. This is also a good time to get your wife involved in your hobby. Her hands are smaller and it's easier for her to get into those tight places. Besides, a Band-aid will cover more of her hand and you'll save on Band-aids. ;)

If you're not a member, this is a good time to join the ROA. One of the things available to members is a CD of the first 22 years of the Riview. ALL of the things you mentioned have been covered and there are detail articles on how to fix them. There's an index of the articles and it's easy to use. Membership in the ROA is the best restoration $$$ you can spend.

Good luck and let us know how you did.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guest musclecarfan65

hi ... attached are the promised pictures. before cutting i took of the aircleaner, all tubes, the A/C, the distributor all valves & covers. then you need to cover all holes.

1) shows highlighted in RED the aproximate area you have to cut.

2) shows my old heater core.

3) shows the sealed and fixed heater cover.

post-52394-14313810222_thumb.jpg

post-52394-143138102224_thumb.jpg

post-52394-143138102228_thumb.jpg

Guys,

I agree with Steve. If this is a collector car, it deserves to be repaired correctly. There are probably other issues in and around the dash area that could be fixed, cleaned, painted or replaced during the heater core replacement. Sears and other retailers carry a number of electric drills and driver tools that can make disassembly easier. They also carry mechanics gloves so you don't injure your hands or your spouses!

Just my 2 cents!

Tim

Guest musclecarfan65
People can do whatever they want with their car, I won't begrudge them that. But what's so damn hard about taking out the heater core the right way? What's the rush that a couple extra hours are going to make a difference? When a dash light burns out do you snip the harness and solder in a new socket?? KE-RIPES!

Think about it...It's a HOBBY! Not some POS we just have to "keep running"...

Like I said, do what you want, but I'de rather properly dismantle the WHOLE CAR that hack the sh!t out of it as a "shortcut".

Steve ROA9236

unfortunately it was the pre-owner in north-america who destroyed the originality of my car by fitting a strange modern "stereo-bass" audiosytem, a crappy air-ride onto the frame (frame & suspension was heavely modified and there even was no name printed on the components), seal the window glass with home depot transparent silicone, destroying the headlight motor and letting the sheet metal rust away in certain areas. the german pre-owner did his part also ... therefore i see no sense to restore it to pebble beach quality but just to restore it as it fits into my very mild "visual customizing" taste (means there is no "cleaning/smoothing" of the sheet metal) and renew the electrics/transmission/suspension/interior.