DA dum question No. 814

I have posted here pict. of all three that I have and dont notice a difference, for some reason I am starting to remember noticing something that you are talking about in the past when it came to these speedos but cannot remember what it was, looking at the three that I have does not jog my memory, maybe one of you guys will see something that I am not seeing, I have posted here also the dates as printed on backs of cases, the one in my car is Sept of 29 and I did not show a picture of that print.

post-48869-143138100813_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138100816_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138100818_thumb.jpg

Dave you are very lucky if you have a floormat, I have never seen one persoanlly, does it match what I have posted here as shown in a past issue of D.B. news? This is the only one known to exist, I do have a strip that is in excellent shape from an original floormat for referance which I consider myself lucky to have, it approx 12 by 2 but of course as far as border design ect I only have this pic. to go by.

I have spoken with gentleman that owns this mat, or rather I think he has it on loan and last I knew he was possibly sending it to Jack Carpenter to possibly reproduce but I dont know if that ever happened.

I have original pict. of the runningboard rubbers and they do match the the floormat but am not so sure if there is supposed to be a border around the runningboard mat, when you get a chance to post pict I will add all the data I can collect from them into my files.

If you feel comftorable giving out your #s of the car ( I of course have to respect if you dont ) than that would all be helpfull but we can start another post or pick up where the old #s post left off when you are ready for that.

post-48869-143138100822_thumb.jpg

I know it is difficult to see in this pict but if anyone needs a better larger version I can send them one. I was able to blow this photo WAAY up so that details could be seen clearly. It is clear enough to be able to reproduce one hopefully someday to nearly scale, of course we all have to realize that this mat came from 4 dr.sedan i think originally and of course mine will ve different in proportion as well as Daves.

Jason, both of the speedos you show appear to be the same. The one here in front of me, dated Nov. '29, has the zero much rounder and shorter. Yours are the tall narrow zeros. The water jet would only be used to cut the shape. The rubber would be grooved similar to original, McMaster-Carr has some shapes. Are you saying you are trying to cut the rubber to a pattern or groove it with a router? Try putting the rubber in the freezer for a while to stiffen it. I would think the cutter should be perfectly sharp too, not a used one.

There are similiar rubber patterns and cannot just say any longer the exact size of the patterns but one rib is slightly wider than the other in the original and the slightly wider one is the taller one whereas Mccaster and steel ect are all the opposite, hope you get my meaning, I will embelish maybe tomm as I need to get somewhere now

Is this the pattern you are talking about? This is the pattern that Burchill Antique Auto in Port Huron, Michigan used to sell on their floor mats.I bought one years ago and it had a border around it. I imagine the border was a "cut to size" thing. It also had a jute backing.

post-37352-14313810112_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138101123_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

No, the pattern is plain but one rib wether it be the higher or the one that is inset are two different sizes, like I had mentioned not much difference but it is there. I will maybe have to dig out my sample. What does 31 use for a floormat? Is it the one you show above?

Yes I understand what you meant but is that the correct pattern for a 31 originally, have you ever seen or do you own a correct mat? I am curious to see if they used the DA mat pattern in succeeeding years.

John I realized that you never confirmed wether you know what the 31 originally came with for a floormat pattern. Have you ever seen an original 31 floormat? I never see 31s I guess because they were not big sellers because of depression. Thanks

I saw a mat in a '31 years ago and it was the same pattern as the running board pattern that I showed. My replacement mat had the same pattern. I cannot say for certain that the originals were that pattern or if the one I saw in the '31 was the original pattern.

Thanks anyway then, it would be nice to know if 31 used same as DA, I may be mistaken but I think I have seen a picture from a 31 owners manual and I think it clearly showed the mat and its pattern but I may be wrong, I dont have the service manual myself to look at.

Yes you are right, the draft pads are defanitely different in style and it is too hard for me to make out the rubber on the floor, I had saved a different picture that I thought was from 31 and will have to see if I can find it. Thanks for posting that anyway